If you're an early morning regular at the CGC, then chances are you'll recognize our member profile this month. Mike has been a member since the facility first opened in 2011, and he continues to workout in the Fitness Centre five days a week. Being active and motivated to do so has always been a part of his life, but Mike says it helps to be surrounded by members of all ages who are also being active on a daily basis. He also loves the chance to catch up with friends and staff during his visits to the CGC.
"I always feel better mentally and physically after my workout."
"I like the facilities, engaging with staff and friends and the options available for training. I can usually be found in the Fitness Centre. "
- What do you like about the CGC/where in the CGC will we find you?
"I always feel better mentally and physically after my workout. As I age, it is important to stay in good physical condition. I have always been active and want to be."
- What motivates you to be active/why is fitness important to you?
"I start with cardio, then go to the cable machines for upper and lower body workout. I try to get strength and flexibility in every workout."
- What is your favourite workout routine or your current fitness goal/accomplishment?
"A couple of bananas, yogurt, protein bar and a glass of milk."
- What is your favourite post-workout snack?
"I could be listening to anything from classis 80's rock to current top 40 hits. My workout music must have a strong beat to motivate me as I train."
- What is your go-to workout song or what are you listening to right now?
"In my spare time, I love a good book, most sporting events, cooking and travel."
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
"My favourite meal is steak with mushrooms, onions and potatoes done on the BBQ. Top it off with fresh salad and a glass of wine. My indulgence would be potato chips."
- What is your favourite food or indulgence?
"I actually have two. One from a lady who spoke at a conference I attended "Dare to dream, it may come true." The other is "Don't give up, don't ever give up" by Jim Valvano."
- What is your favourite quote?
"The way staff welcomed me from day 1. Also the lasting friendships I have developed over the years."
- What is your favourite memory of the CGC?
"I joined just after the CGC opened in 2011 and I still come 5 days a week. The CGC has always been a relaxed environment with so many ways to exercise."
- What was your first impression of the CGC?
"The CGC is a great place to enjoy yourself while working at your own pace to stay fit and active."
- What do you wish other people knew about the CGC?