Meet Jessica, our member profile for November. Jessica lives on the other side of the harbour, but she says a quick trip across the bridge is worth it to keep her fitness routine going. She originally joined to swim with her mother as a way to be active again after recovering from emergency spinal surgery. Now, Jessica is an afternoon regular in the Fitness Centre and really happy with her progress so far. One of her favourite things about the CGC is that people know her name, and that makes her smile!
"It’s been very important to me to become as physical as I possibly could and not take my mobility or health for granted."
"I had emergency spinal surgery about three years ago and I wasn’t able to move around as much as I could pre-surgery. It’s been very important to me to become as physical as I possibly could and not take my mobility or health for granted."
- What motivates you to be active? Why is fitness important to you?
"Very friendly staff and a nice variety of fun activities to choose from. You’ll find me in the Fitness Centre!"
- What do you like about the CGC? Where in the CGC will we find you?
"Because of my injury I have to be careful with what exercises I do, so I really focus on upper body strength training as well as cardio, such as biking and walking. I’ve lost over 100 pounds in almost two years so I’m really happy with my progress so far!"
- What is your favourite workout routine or your current fitness goal/accomplishment?
"I usually have something like walnuts/almonds or yogurt."
- What is your favourite post-workout snack?
"I typically listen to audiobooks while I workout!"
- What is your go-to workout song or what are you listening to right now?
"I enjoy reading and watching a good scary movie."
- What do you like to do in your spare time?
"I enjoy some popcorn in the evenings every once in a while and if I indulge maybe something like pizza."
- What is your favourite food or indulgence?
“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says “I’m possible!” – Audrey Hepburn"
- What is your favourite quote?
“That staff is super friendly and I was happy to be able to swim which was incredibly relaxing on my back."
- What was your first impression of the CGC?
“That’s a hard one but I’d say one of my favorite movies is Bill and Teds Bogus Journey, one of my favorite books I’ve read so far this year was The Book of Cold Cases and a favorite TV show would be American Horror Story."
- What is your movie/book/TV show?
"There’s something for everyone!"
- What do you wish other people knew about the CGC?