About Canada Games Centre Swim Academy
The Canada Games Centre Swim Academy (CGCSA) is designed to develop the whole athlete and promote a healthy love of sport in a low-pressure environment. Each team within the CGCSA offers participants access to a variety of training opportunities, both in the water and on dry land, to prevent injury and promote lifelong participation and enjoyment of physical activity.
CGCSA focuses on the following goals:
- To develop lifelong fundamental movement & sport skills through exposure to different aquatic sports
- To develop a deep respect for the tradition of teamwork, friendship, lifelong learning and athletic ability
- To provide a safe atmosphere where youth can develop confidence, personal responsibility, positive self-image, a healthy body and an optimistic attitude towards life
- To employ highly trained and qualified coaching staff who will strive to achieve program excellence
- To teach the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment inherent in sport
- To support and promote aquatic sport within the community, provincially and nationally
CGCSA programs run annually from September to June and provide access to team training for two sports – swimming and lifesaving, as well as an aquatic multi-sport component. CGCSA
offers annual program options for the following:
- Summer Swim Team Off-Season Training
- Lifesaving Sport Team
- Masters Swim Team
- Introduction to Competitive Swimming
- Summer Swim Team
CGCSA & SPORT FOR LIFE
CGCSA is built on the foundation of sport research regarding child/youth sport development, physical literacy, fundamental movement skills and Long Term Development (LTD) designed by Sport for Life (S4L) and supported by Sport Nova Scotia’s Get More From Sport.
For more information on physical literacy and the stages of LTD, visit our CGCSA Resources & Links page.