***Weather Notice – Hurricane Fiona***
CGC Closing as of 7pm Sept. 23rd; Evacuation Shelter Opens at 8pm
September 22, 2022
Here’s what’s happening at the CGC as Hurricane Fiona makes its way to NS:
- Friday, September 23rd – the CGC will close at 7pm
- All programs and scheduled activities before 7pm will go ahead as planned.
- Saturday, September 24th – the CGC will be closed for the day.
- The CGC will reopen Sunday. Should we need to delay opening on Sunday, we will provide an update at 5pm Saturday evening. Further CGC updates will also be posted to our social media feeds.
- For programs and rentals affected by the closure, registrants will be contacted directly regarding credits/refunds/rescheduling.
EMO Evacuation Shelter:
- As of 8pm on Friday, September 23rd, 2022 the CGC will become an evacuation shelter operated by the Canadian Red Cross, under the direction of the provincial Department of Community Services.
- An evacuation shelter is a location where evacuees are received, documented, personal needs identified and overnight shelter provided.
- Regular CGC activities and amenities are not available while the facility is operating as an evacuation shelter.
- An evacuation shelter is different from a comfort centre.
- A comfort centre is a place where community members who are remaining in their homes but do not have full services such as electricity, heat, and water, can gather for a short period of time during the day. Comfort centres are typically run by volunteers and provide water, warmth, and information.
- Please note, the CGC is not a comfort centre at this time.
- For questions regarding the evacuation shelter, please call 311.
Stay dry and safe!