***Weather Notice – Hurricane Dorian***
CGC remains unavailable for recreation activities – Mon. Sept. 9, 2019
September 8, 2019
LATEST UPDATE (Sept. 9th, 8:25pm)
Thanks so much for your patience over the last couple of days. The CGC will be open for regular recreation activities on Tuesday, September 10th at 5:30am.
LATEST UPDATE (Sept. 9th, 10:28am)
- As the Red Cross is still using the facility for evacuees from Hurricane Dorian, the CGC will not open for regular recreation activities today.
- Another update will be provided after 6pm today, as to whether CGC will resume regular recreation operations on Tuesday, September 10th, 2019.
UPDATE (Sept. 8th, 4pm)
- The CGC will continue to be a comfort centre this evening and overnight for those individuals displaced by the Hurricane or still without power.
- At this time, we will delay the opening of the CGC for regular operation & recreational activities until Monday, September 9th at 12pm.
- Update (10pm): As of this evening, power has been restored to the CGC, but phone lines are still not operational.
- Any registered programs scheduled to start Monday morning prior to noon will be cancelled, fitness and aquafit classes too.
- Child Minding will not be available until Monday evening at 5pm.
- Further updates will continue to be posted on our website and social media.
UPDATE (Sept. 8th, 10:55am): The Centre remains an evacuation shelter Sunday, September 8th. Recreation activities will be unavailable for the day. Further updates regarding the opening of the CGC for normal operations on Monday, September 9th will be posted as soon as they become available.
Here’s what’s happening at the CGC as Hurricane Dorian makes its way to NS:
- Saturday, September 7th – the CGC will be CLOSED for the day.
- Sunday, September 8th – CGC delayed opening until 12pm to allow for any clean-up efforts as required.
Should we need to delay opening on Sunday past noon, we will provide an update by 10am. Further CGC updates will also be posted to our social media feeds.
EMO Evacuation Shelter:
- As of 12pm on Saturday, September 7th, the CGC will become an evacuation shelter operated by the Canadian Red Cross, under the direction of the provincial Department of Community Services.
- An evacuation shelter is a location where evacuees are received, documented, personal needs identified and overnight shelter provided.
- Any questions regarding the evacuation shelter, please call 311.
Any further updates will continue to be posted on our website and social media.