COVID-19 | Reducing the Risk
Preventative measures & best practices for staying healthy
March 11, 2020
Given the ever evolving situation with the novel coronavirus (officially known as COVID-19) around the world, it’s only natural to feel concerned. As a busy recreation and sports facility, the health and safety of our members and guests is always top of mind. This is why we continue to monitor the situation closely with the help of the Halifax Regional Municipality Emergency Management Division and Nova Scotia’s Emergency Management Office and Department of Health and Wellness.
The CGC is prepared to adapt as required, but we have also implemented enhanced measures to reduce the risks associated with the spread of viruses, including increasing the frequency in which common surfaces (like handrails, door handles, etc.) are cleaned, and the installation of additional hand sanitizer dispensers throughout the facility. We have also provided guidance to our staff team regarding best practices to help promote a healthy environment at the CGC.
What you can do:
- Practicing good hygiene remains the best defense against illness. Wash your hands thoroughly and frequently using soap and water for at least 20 seconds, or use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then immediately place it in the garbage and wash your hands. If no tissue is readily available, cough and sneeze into the crook of your bent arm (at the elbow).
- Wipe down exercise equipment with the disinfecting wipes after you are finished using it. We provide wipes for this purpose.
- If you’re feeling ill or unwell, please stay home and rest up.
- Stay informed and up-to-date through Nova Scotia’s Department of Health and Wellness: https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/
We will continue to follow the advice and guidance of Nova Scotia’s Chief Medical Officer, updating you with any relevant information as it relates to the CGC.