This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre (CGC) is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are a 176,000 sqft facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high performance sport & athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an inclusive environment. Located in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and traditional lands of the Mi’kmaq people, the CGC acknowledges the Peace & Friendship Treaties signed in this Territory and recognizes that we are all Treaty People.
Together, we inspire healthy active living.
Reporting to the Aquatics Program Supervisor under the direction of the Aquatics Program Coordinator, this role is responsible for delivering the highest quality aquatic experience to our members and guests in our fast paced, growing environment.
- Ensure the safety of patrons through prevention and timely response to injuries, incidents, and emergencies in programs
- Provide emergency care and treatment by attaining Lifeguard intervention
- Enhance customer engagement through adhering to and delivering public education on programs, policies and procedures, and safety supervision standards
- Complete administrative/risk management duties and responsibilities accurately and within set deadlines (lesson plans, program worksheets, report cards, participant first day assessments)
- Delivery quality programs
- Maintain required certification(s) for position(s) held
- Complete various maintenance responsibilities as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility/environment (cleaning, inventory and proper storage of program equipment)
- Perform other duties aligned with the Policy and Procedure Manual, and as assigned by supervisory direction
- Maintain a level of fitness and training necessary to fulfill the practical, knowledge-related, and judgemental components of instructing
- Coach, mentor, and develop new assistant/apprentice and full instructors
- Complete additional projects as assigned
Must maintain active certifications as a condition of employment
- Swim for Life Instructor (SFLI) and/or YMCA Instructor and/or Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- National Lifeguard – Pool Option
- Bronze Cross (if not NL certified)
- Intermediate Workplace First Aid (formerly Standard First Aid with CPR-C & AED)
- Airway Management (formerly Oxygen Administration)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- High Five and Inclusion Training
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI)
- Bronze Examiner (Examiner Course)
- We are looking for instructors to commit to a 9-week session. Shifts are Tuesday 4pm-7pm, Thursday 4pm-7pm and/or Friday afternoons between 12pm-3pm.
- Mandatory in-service attendance and completion of monthly in-servicing requirements and professional development
- Must be able available to work early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays/school breaks
- Vacation day requests are not realistic during swim lesson sessions and will not be granted
- $14.00 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
- The Canada Games Centre has a Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy which requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of full vaccination will be verified prior to the commencement of employment.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Wasan Nayfeh email@example.com.
Please include your full name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive environment whose goal is to be a diverse workplace representative of the citizens we serve. Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in occupations where they are under-represented, and the LGBTQIA2S+ community are encouraged to self-identify on your application.This opportunity is now closed