Summer Camp: Camp Counsellor (Part-Time)
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre summer camp program is available for children between the ages of 5 and 12 and takes advantage of all that our 176,000-square foot state-of-the-art community recreation facility has to offer. Typical days include swimming in our Aquatics Centre, playing physically active games on our 52,000-square feet of hardwood court space in our Field House, running laps on our 200-metre six-lane indoor Track, crafting and classroom activities in one of our many community rooms, as well as outdoor play opportunities on our playground.
Camp Counsellors will be responsible for providing daily supervision of campers and implementing summer camp program plans as directed by the Summer Camp Supervisor. We are looking for people who love working with children, have knowledge of the summer camp experience, and would enthusiastically welcome the opportunity to ensure children have the best possible experience in our programs. The successful candidate will be a dynamic individual with a passion for recreation.
- Greet children and parents to facility programs; Ensure proper facility documentation is complete.
- Provide outstanding customer service and communication with parents and guardians
- Comply with COVID-19 facility policies including child sign-in & out, health checks, enforcing mask policy, and frequent handwashing.
- Monitor supply levels and keep rooms organized and clean
- Maintain all health and safety regulations; Ensure participant code of conduct is followed
- Report to camp supervisors regarding any program issues, supply/material requirements, equipment needs, or other concerns.
- Facilitate recreational programs, including activities such as games and arts and crafts.
- Learn & actively play camp games with campers
- Be a caring leader through the summer for all campers
- Provide camp leadership, training, mentorship, and feedback to counselors in training
- Maintain and collaborative and positive attitude while working in a team setting
- Communicate effectively and professionally with team members and campers
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics staff to ensure safety of children when in the pool
- Complete additional projects as assigned
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR-C
- High Five
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills
- All above training will be offered prior to the start of camps
Knowledge and Education:
- Strong background in recreation as an employee, volunteer or participant
- Knowledge of a variety of sports, arts & crafts and other camp activities
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate excellent verbal, written and oral skills
- Possess leadership skills
- Customer service experience
- This is part time position beginning July 4th, 2022 and ending August 26th, 2022
- Shifts are scheduled for 5 hours each day and will start and end between the hours of 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday
- Part-time Camp Counsellors are scheduled to work approximately 25 hours per week. Additional hours may become available throughout the summer
- Please note that you must be available for mandatory staff training on June 25th and 26th
- $14.00 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
- The Canada Games Centre has a Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy which requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of full vaccination will be verified prior to the commencement of employment.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to email@example.com by June 20th, 2022.
Please include the position(s) that you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents may result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed