Summer Camp: Camp Counsellor (Full Time)
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre (CGC) is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are a 176,000 sqft facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high performance sport & athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an inclusive environment. Located in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and traditional lands of the Mi’kmaq people, the CGC acknowledges the Peace & Friendship Treaties signed in this Territory and recognizes that we are all Treaty People.
Together, we inspire healthy active living.
The Canada Games Centre summer camp program is available for children between the ages of 5 and 12 and takes advantage of all that our community recreation facility has to offer. Typical days include swimming in our Aquatics Centre, playing physically active games on our 52,000-square feet of hardwood court space in our Field House, running laps on our 200-metre six-lane indoor Track, crafting and classroom activities in one of our many community rooms, as well as outdoor play opportunities on our playground.
Camp Counsellors will be responsible for providing daily supervision of campers and implementing summer camp program plans as directed by the Summer Camp Supervisor. We are looking for people who love working with children, have knowledge of the summer camp experience, and would enthusiastically welcome the opportunity to ensure children have the best possible experience in our programs. The successful candidate will be a dynamic individual with a passion for recreation.
- Greet children and parents to facility programs; ensure proper facility documentation is complete
- Provide outstanding customer service and communication with parents and guardians
- Facilitate recreational programs, including activities such as games and arts and crafts
- Learn & actively play camp games with campers
- Assist campers in changerooms and accompany them in the pool during daily swimming in our Aquatics Centre
- Be a caring leader through the summer for all campers
- Monitor supply levels and keep rooms organized and clean
- Maintain all health and safety regulations; ensure participant code of conduct is followed
- Report to camp supervisors regarding any program issues, supply/material requirements, equipment needs, or other concerns
- Provide camp leadership, training, mentorship, and feedback to counselors in training
- Maintain and collaborative and positive attitude while working in a team setting
- Communicate effectively and professionally with team members and campers
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics staff to ensure safety of children when in the pool
- Complete additional projects as assigned
- Current Basic Workplace First Aid certificate (formerly Emergency First Aid) and CPR-C (will be offered prior to start)
- High Five
- All above training will be offered prior to the start of camps
Knowledge and Education
- Strong background in recreation as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Knowledge of a variety of sports, arts & crafts and other camp activities
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Customer service experience
- Ability to coach, train, and guide participants
- This is full-time position beginning July 3rd, 2023 and ending August 25th, 2023
- Shifts are scheduled for 8.5 hours and will start and end between the hours of 8:00am and 5:30pm Monday to Friday
- Please note that you must be available for mandatory staff training June 20th-22nd from 6pm-9pm and June 24th from 9am-5pm
- The compensation for this position is $15.35 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to email@example.com by Sunday, April 16th, 2023.
Please include your full name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive environment whose goal is to be a diverse workplace representative of the citizens we serve. Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in occupations where they are under-represented, and the LGBTQIA2S+ community are encouraged to self-identify on your application.This opportunity is now closed