Summer Camp: Camp Counsellor (Full-Time)
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre summer camp program is available for children between the ages of 5 and 12 and takes advantage of all that our 176,000-square foot state-of-the-art community recreation facility has to offer. Typical days include swimming in our massive Aquatics Centre, playing physically-active games on our 52,000-square feet of hardwood court space in our Field House, running laps on our 200-metre six-lane indoor Track, crafting and classroom activities in one of our many community rooms, as well as outdoor play opportunities on our brand new playground.
POSITION SUMMARY: Camp Counsellors will be responsible for providing daily supervision of campers and implementing summer camp program plans as directed by the Recreation Coordinators.
- Follow proper sign in and sign out procedures during drop off and pick up at the beginning and end of each day
- Daily supervision of children and implementation of summer camp program plans
- Interacting with children
- Interaction with parents and guardians, providing exceptional customer service and a positive customer experience
- Reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise
- Effective communication with all fellow Canada Games Centre staff
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre
- Supervise groups of children on outings (public transit will sometimes be used on these field trips so successful candidates must be comfortable supervising children on public transit and off-site)
- Complete additional projects as assigned
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR-C
- High Five
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills
- All above training will be offered prior to the start of camps
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Strong background in recreation as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Working/playing knowledge of a variety of sports and physical activities
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Customer service experience
- Ability to coach, train, and guide participants
- This is full-time position beginning July 5th, 2021 and ending August 27th, 2021
- Shifts are scheduled for 8.5 hours and will start and end between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday
- Vacation day requests are not realistic in our camp environment and will not be granted
- Please note that you must be available for mandatory staff training on June 26th and June 27th
- $13.00 to $13.60 per hour
- Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, June 16th, 2021.
Please include the position that you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed