After School Program Leader
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes and will for generations to come. As a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, it provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and is a major sports, training, and competition facility in Atlantic Canada. The Canada Games Centre is a 176,000 sq ft state-of-the-art community recreation facility.
Drawing from both the Halifax Regional School Board and the Conseil Scholaire Acadien Provincial, the Canada Games Centre After School Program is quickly growing and provides an excellent opportunity for youth to work in a recreation setting and expand their professional skills. Children participating in this program will enjoy swim times, recreational games in our Field House, homework time, and other fun activities.
The After School Program Leader will be responsible for the planning, on site supervision, and daily execution of activities during the After School Program. This includes being the first point of contact for parents as well as attendance, bus pick-up, and reporting any immediate concerns to the on-site supervisor. This position will report daily to the Recreation Program Supervisor. As there will be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role as well. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Provide instruction and leadership for activities while ensuring participant safety at all times
- Ensure all participants are actively engaged, motivated, having fun, and staying safe,
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to their supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise
- Participate in pool activities
- Modify activities for any special needs participants may have
- Communicate daily with team members
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics Services to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre
- Complete additional projects as assigned by the Recreation Program Supervisor.
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR (or willing to obtain before start of program)
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Experience in a sport setting
- Current student in the field of Education, Child and Youth Studies, Kinesiology, etc.
- Customer Service experience
- Current AED Certification
- Bilingualism would be considered an asset
- Working/playing knowledge of a host of sports such as but not limited to: basketball, volleyball, badminton, etc.
- Ability to lead Arts & Crafts projects
Knowledge & Education
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Dedication to exceptional Customer Service
- Ability to coach, train and guide participants.
- Multiple positions are available starting September 1, 2016. Applicants must be willing to work between 2pm and 6pm and a commitment to a minimum of two days per week is expected. Please note that preference will be given to applicants with the most availability.
- Availability on Professional Development days will also be required,
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry Checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Compensation will be $10.70 per hour.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- A variety of discounted programs and services
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4pm on Friday, September 2nd, 2016.
Please include the position you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed