Play School Instructor
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre is a state-of-the-art multi-purpose sport and recreation facility. We promote healthy and active living for citizens. Driven by our passion, leadership and teamwork, we strive to achieve innovative programming and exceptional guest experiences.
The Canada Games Centre host the largest indoor track in Nova Scotia, open year round for use by recreational and competitive runners alike. The 200 metre track surrounds three full size gyms built to facilitate recreational basketball, volleyball, and badminton as well as a host of other sports. The Canada Games Centre provides meeting and multi-purpose rooms that allow for cultural and community events. The Centre also features a child care centre where children can play while their parents take part in fitness and recreational programming.
Play School Instructors at the Canada Games Centre will be responsible for the daily implementation and supervision of programs for children 3 to 5 years old. They must ensure the development and safety of all participants while keeping fun at the heart of the child’s day. The Play School Instructors must be respectful of all children and parents and ensure that equipment and facilities are clean, safe, and well maintained.
- Plan and implement activities to meet the physical, emotional, intellectual, and social needs of the children in the program,
- Be familiar with emergency procedures and the policies and procedures of the Canada Games Centre,
- Help develop culturally appropriate programs and activities,
- Ensure children are supervised at all times,
- Provide various experiences and activities for children including songs, games and storytelling,
- Comfort children when necessary, establish routines and provide positive guidance.
- Communicate effectively in a manner that children understand,
- Observe and discuss child’s development and make note of progress with parents and professionals where necessary,
- Integrate special needs of children in a positive and respectful manner; and
- Keep parents informed of program expectations and program activities as changes arise.
- Current First Aid and CPR
- High School graduate, some post-secondary education in children’s education, recreation, or a related discipline
- AED Certification
- Currently holds or is pursuing Early Childhood Education Certificate
Knowledge and Education:
- Experience working with children in either a community or sport setting,
- Analytical and problem solving skills
- Sound decision-making skills; and
- Compassionate, patience, and understanding
- Hours and days for this position are flexible schedule, however, we require a commitment of three shifts or 10 – 15 hours per week,
- The Play School Program will operate Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 11:30am,
- Work environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on an infrequent occasion,
- Safe lifting, carrying, and first aid techniques must be adhered to; and
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Salary will be based on a range from $10.60 to $11.25 per hour depending on education and experience.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- A variety of discounted programs and services
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Training and professional development opportunities available
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter to Zach Fralick at email@example.com no later than 4:00pm on Thursday, September 17, 2015.
Please include the position you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed