Male Camp Counsellor (Part-Time)
This opportunity is now closed
SETTING: The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 6th year and continues to grow. Using space in our community rooms, Field House, Aquatics Centre and the outdoors, we will be inviting children between the ages of 5 and 12 to come enjoy the summer at our beautiful facility. Please visit us at: www.canadagamescentre.ca.
POSITION SUMMARY: Camp Counsellors will be responsible for the on-site supervision and daily execution of the 2016 Canada Games Centre Summer Camps as directed by the Recreation Program Supervisor and camp administrative staff. You will be responsible for daily supervision of children to ensure their safety and happiness. Other responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, set up and clean-up of activities, playing games with children, supervision during lunch hour, and supervising sign-in and sign-out at the beginning and end of each day. The Camp Counsellors position will report daily to the Recreation Program Supervisor and Aquatics Program Supervisor. As there will also be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role as well. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise.
- Work with other counsellors to develop weekly and daily schedules for individual groups of children.
- Communicate daily with team members.
- Work alongside Camp Specialists for pre-determined daily activities
- Work in conjunction with Aquatic Staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre.
- Supervise groups of children on outings. Public transit will sometimes be used on these field trips. Successful candidates must be comfortable supervising children on public transit and off-site.
- Complete additional projects as assigned.
- Ability to work early and late drop off and pick-ups as required.
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR-C (will be offered prior to start)
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience leading a group of peers
- Customer Service Experience
- Working/Playing knowledge of a variety of sports.
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer or participant.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills.
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills.
- Dedication to customer service
- Ability to coach, train, and guide participants.
- This position will be a part time role beginning July 4th, 2016 and ending September 2nd, 2016. Please note you must also be available for mandatory staff training on June 4th, 18th, and 19th.
- Hours will consist of daytime hours approximately. Schedules will vary between the hours of 7am and 6pm and you will work approx. 5 hours per day/25 hours per week.
- Vacation days are not realistic in the camp environment and will not be granted.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional and mental demands on infrequent occasions.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
The hourly wage range for this position is $10.70 – 11.25.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter to Zach Fralick at email@example.com no later than 4pm on Monday, May 23, 2016.
Please include the position you are applying for in your subject line.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed