This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre (CGC) is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are a 176,000 sqft facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high performance sport & athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an inclusive environment. Located in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and traditional lands of the Mi’kmaq people, the CGC acknowledges the Peace & Friendship Treaties signed in this Territory and recognizes that we are all Treaty People.
Together, we inspire healthy active living.
Reporting to the Aquatics Operations Supervisor under the direction of the Manager, Recreation & Program Services, this role involves striving to deliver the highest quality aquatic experience to our members and guests in our fast paced, growing environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensuring the safety supervision of patrons through prevention and timely response to injuries, incidents, and emergencies
- Providing emergency care and treatment, activating Emergency Health Services (EHS)
- Enhancing customer engagement by delivering public education on programs, policies, procedures, in addition to safety supervision standards
- Completing administrative and risk management duties and responsibilities accurately and within set deadlines
- Completing various maintenance responsibilities as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility/environment
- Performing other duties aligned with the policy and procedure manual, and as assigned by supervisory direction
- Maintaining a level of fitness and training necessary to fulfill the practical, knowledge-related, and judgemental components of lifeguarding and instructing
- Coaching, mentoring, and developing new lifeguards and instructors
- Maintaining required qualifications as listed below
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a larger team
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful, cooperative, and professional working relationships with colleagues, supervisors, users, and community
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving skills and strong judgement
- Mandatory in-service attendance and completion of monthly in-service requirements and professional development
- Must be flexible to work early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holiday/school breaks
- Multiple positions available with a start date of September 1st, 2023
Must maintain active certifications as a condition of employment
- National Lifeguard – Pool Option
- Standard First Aid (Intermediate Workplace First Aid) CPR-C & AED
- Oxygen Administration (Airway Management)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- High Five, Fundamental Movement Skills, and Inclusion Training
- CGC Respectful Workplace and CGC Customer Service 101 Training
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI)
- Bronze Examiner (Exam Standards Clinic)
- Swim for Life Instructor (SFLI) and/or YMCA Instructor and/or Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
The compensation for this position is $15.00 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay).
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Wasan Nayfeh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your full name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive environment whose goal is to be a diverse workplace representative of the citizens we serve. Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in occupations where they are under-represented, and the LGBTQIA2S+ community are encouraged to self-identify on your application.This opportunity is now closed