This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 5th year and continues to evolve. Using space in the Field House, and enormous Aquatics Centre, as well as additional classroom space, and the outdoor space surrounding the Centre, we will be inviting children between the ages of 5 and 12 to come enjoy the summer at our beautiful facility.
Summer Camp Junior Counsellors will be enthusiastic individuals wishing to work with children ages 5 – 12 in a recreation setting. You will be responsible for daily supervision of a small group of children to ensure their safety and happiness. Other responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, set up and clean-up of activities, playing games with children, supervision during lunch hour, and leading games at the beginning and end of each day. This position will report daily to the Recreation Program Coordinator. As there will also be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role as well. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise.
- Communicate daily with team members.
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics Services to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre.
- Complete additional projects as assigned by the Recreation Program Supervisor and Recreation Program Coordinator.
- Must be a full/part-time student in University or High School
- Preference will be given to students currently enrolled in – or wishing to enter – programs in fields related to recreation and child education (Ex: Kinesiology, Recreation Management, Leisure Studies, Education, Early Childhood Education, Psychology, etc.)
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR-C
- Enthusiasm and excitement to work with children in a recreation setting
- Customer Service Experience
- Previous experience with school aged children in any other setting
- Current AED Certification
- Conversational French would be considered an asset
- Working/Playing knowledge of a host of sports such as but not limited to: Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, Table Tennis, etc.
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer or participant.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and oral skills.
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills.
- Ability to coach, train, and guide participants.
- These positions will be part time roles beginning July 2, 2014 and ending August 28, 2015. Please note you must also be available for mandatory staff training June 13, 14, 20, 21, 2015.
- Hours will consist of daytime hours. Schedules may vary slightly between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm.
- Successful candidates must commit to working a minimum of three days per week but can work up to 5 days if desired.
- Vacation days are not realistic in the camp environment and will most likely not be granted.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional and mental demands on infrequent occasion.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Wage will be $10.50 – 11.20/hour (plus 4% vacation pay). There will be multiple Junior Counsellor positions available.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax transit
- Amazing team environment
Interested candidates should apply in writing. Deadline for applications is February 22, 2015. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for. A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Zach Fralick, Human Resources Generalist, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include position you are applying for in the subject line. “Sky Drive” attachments are not accepted. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed