This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 6th year and continues to grow. Using space in our community rooms, Field House, Aquatics Centre and the outdoors, we will be inviting children between the ages of 5 and 12 to come enjoy the summer at our beautiful facility. Visit us at www.canadagamescentre.ca.
Summer Camp Junior Counsellors will be enthusiastic individuals wishing to gain more experience working with children ages 5 – 12 in a recreation setting. You will be responsible for daily supervision of a small group of children to ensure their safety and happiness. Other responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, set up and clean-up of activities, playing games with children, supervision during lunch hour, and leading games at the beginning and end of each day. This position will report daily to the Recreation Program Supervisor. As there will also be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role as well. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise.
- Work with other counsellors to develop weekly and daily schedules for individual groups of children.
- Communicate daily with team members.
- Work alongside Camp Specialists for pre-determined daily activities
- Work in conjunction with Aquatic Staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre.
- Supervise groups of children on outings. Public transit will sometimes be used on these field trips. Successful candidates must be comfortable supervising children on public transit and off-site.
- Complete additional projects as assigned
- Ability to work early and late drop off and pick-ups as required.
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR-C (will be offered prior to camp start)
- Enthusiasm and excitement to work with children in a recreation setting
- Customer Service Experience
- Previous experience with school aged children in any other setting
- Working/Playing knowledge of a variety of sports.
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer or participant.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills.
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills.
- Dedication to customer service
- Ability to coach, train, and guide participants.
- This position will be a part time role beginning July 4, 2016 and ending August 26, 2016. Please note you must also be available for mandatory staff training June 4, 18, and 19.
- Hours will consist of daytime hours approximately. Schedules may vary slightly between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm. Junior Counsellor will work approx. 25 hours per week.
- Vacation days are not realistic in the camp environment and will not be granted.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional and mental demands on infrequent occasions.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
The hourly wage for this position is $10.70 – $11.25/hour.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
Interested candidates should apply in writing. Deadline for applications is February 19, 2016. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for. A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions. Interviews for this position will be scheduled on March 5, 2016.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to the Canada Games Centre e-mail address email@example.com.
Please include position you are applying for in the subject line. “Sky Drive” attachments are not accepted. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed