This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 5th year and continues to evolve. Using space in the Field House, and enormous Aquatics Centre, as well as additional classroom space, and the outdoor space surrounding the Centre, we will be inviting children between the ages of 5 and 12 to come enjoy the summer at our beautiful facility.
The Summer Camp Inclusion Counsellor will be responsible for the daily supervision of children in our Inclusion Program that require one on one attention due to special abilities. This will include ensuring the child’s personal and developmental needs are adequately met, making modifications to include them in all camp activities, and ensuring their overall safety and happiness while in our care. You will also be required to communicate with parents/guardians daily to ensure continued proper care. This position will report daily to the Recreation Program Coordinator. As there will also be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Caring for individuals needing extra attention on a one-on-one basis
- Personal care of participant (based on their individual needs)
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise.
- Develop weekly and daily schedules for your assigned camper.
- Based on camp schedules, develop and use any additional scheduling or communication tools the participant needs
- Communicate daily with team members to ensure inclusion is properly facilitated.
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics Services staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre.
- Complete additional projects as assigned by the Recreation Program Coordinator and/or Recreation Program Supervisor.
- Must be a full time student in University who will be returning to full-time studies in the fall (proof of enrollment will be requested)
- Only students pursuing a degree related to adapted physical activity in recreation and child education will be considered (Ex: Kinesiology, Psychology (focused in Therapeutic Recreation and Inclusion) Education, Adapted Physical Activity, etc.)
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR-C (valid before camp start)
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience in a setting where children with special abilities are the main focus and knowledge on adapting activities to suit a host of needs
- Customer Service Experience
- Current AED Certification
- Conversational French would be considered an asset
- Working/Playing knowledge of a host of sports such as but not limited to: Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, Table Tennis, etc.
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer or participant.
- Strong knowledge of different cognitive and physical disabilities and how to properly work with children with such abilities.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills.
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills.
- Dedication to Customer Service
- Ability to coach, train and guide peers and participants.
- These positions will be a full time role beginning July 2, 2015 and ending August 28, 2015. Please note you must also be available for mandatory staff training June 13,14, 20, 21, 2015.
- Hours will consist of daytime hours. Schedules vary slightly between the hours of 7:30am and 6:00pm.
- Vacation days are not realistic in the camp environment and will most likely not be granted.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional and mental demands on infrequent occasion.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Wage will be $11.75-12.75/hour (plus 4% vacation pay). There will be multiple Inclusion Counsellor positions available.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
Interested candidates should apply in writing. Deadline for applications is February 22, 2015. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for. A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions. Interviews for this position will be scheduled on an individual basis and will take place with the selection panel.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Zach Fralick, Human Resources Generalist, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. “Sky Drive” attachments are not accepted. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed