Summer Camp: Inclusion Counsellor
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 7th year and continues to grow. Our program is available for children between the ages of 5 to 12 and takes advantage of all that our 176,000 square foot state-of-the-art community recreation facility has to offer. Typical days include everything from swimming in one of the three pools in our massive aquatics centre, playing physically active games on the 52,000 square feet of hardwood court space in our field house, running laps on our 200-metre 6-lane indoor track, crafts and classroom activities in one of our many community rooms, as well as outdoor play opportunities on our brand new playground.
The Summer Camp Inclusion Counsellor will be responsible for the daily supervision of children in our Inclusion Program that require one on one attention. This will include ensuring the child’s personal and developmental needs are adequately met, making modifications to include them in all camp activities and ensuring their overall safety and happiness while in our care. You will also be required to communicate with parents/guardians daily to ensure continued proper care. This position will report daily to the Recreation Program Supervisor. As there will also be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Caring for individuals needing extra attention on a one-on-one basis
- Personal care of participant (based on their individual needs)
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise.
- Develop weekly and daily schedules for your assigned camper.
- Based on camp schedules, develop and use any additional scheduling or communication tools the participant needs
- Communicate daily with team members to ensure inclusion is properly facilitated.
- Work in conjunction with Aquatic staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre.
- Complete additional projects as assigned.
- Must be a full-time student in University who will be returning to full-time studies in the fall (proof of enrollment will be requested)
- Preference will be given to students in fields related to adapted physical activity in recreation and child education (Ex: Nursing, Therapeutic Recreation, Education)
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR-C (will be offered prior to start)
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience in a setting where children with special abilities are the main focus and knowledge on adapting activities to suit a host of needs
- Customer Service experience
- Working/playing knowledge of a variety of sports
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer or participant
- Strong knowledge of different cognitive and physical disabilities and how to properly work with children with such abilities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Dedication to Customer Service
- This is full-time position beginning June 26th, 2017 and ending September 1st, 2017.
- Shifts are scheduled for 8.5 hours and will start and end between the hours of 7am and 6pm Monday to Friday
- Vacation day requests are not realistic in our camp environment and will more than likely not be granted
- Wage will be $12.00 – $13.00 per hour
- Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to Zach Fralick at email@example.com by Sunday, February 26th, 2017.
Please include the position that you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted. A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions.
Interviews for this position will be held on Sunday, March 19th, 2017 from 12pm – 5pm.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed