Human Resources Generalist
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre is a state-of-the-art multi-purpose sport and recreation facility. We promote healthy and active living for citizens. Driven by our passion, leadership and teamwork, we strive to achieve innovative programming and exceptional guest experiences.
Reporting to the General Manager, this position strengthens the senior management team and provides generalist HR services, leadership, advice and support regarding HR best practices, policies and procedures for the organization.
Specific Accountabilities & Duties:
- Coordinate the Centre’s recruitment and selection process, consulting with hiring managers to ensure an efficient and equitable hiring process
- Compile payroll information received from individual departments to be sent to HRM payroll for processing
- Complete billing for benefits providers
- Develop and maintain human resource policies and procedures by incorporating best practices and sound HR research
- Coordinate the performance management process and provide ongoing support to managers and supervisors regarding performance reviews and coaching
- Lead the Occupational Health and Safety Program and act as a sponsor to the JOHSC for ongoing health and safety compliance
- Coordinate the employee orientation process by consulting with hiring managers and liaising with payroll and benefit providers
- Develop a compensation framework that is fair by conducting research, utilizing occupational classifications and preparing job descriptions to inform accurate salary scales
- Develop and coordinate employee recognition activities
- Coordinate employee learning and development activities for staff
- The successful candidate offers 3-5 years of related and progressive human resources experience and one of the following:
- An undergraduate degree with a concentration in Human Resource Management, or an undergraduate degree in a related field (Commerce, Business Administration) with a certificate or diploma in Human Resource Management
- Experience providing human resources advice and coaching to leaders is required
- Up to date knowledge and understanding of the NS Labour Code, NS Occupational Health and Safety Act, and the NS Human Rights Act is also required
- The successful candidate will need to complete tasks in a timely manner while showing sound judgement, excellent communication (oral and written), time-management skills, discretion, and diplomacy
- He/she must be highly organized and attentive to detail with the ability to solve problems and demonstrate initiative
- Proficiency with common-office software (word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, and email) is required
- Previous HR experience in a sport or recreation environment and experience with an HRIS are considered assets for this position
Competencies: Service Orientation, Communication, Customer Service, Problem Solving, Flexibility, Initiative, Relationship Building, Teamwork & Cooperation, Valuing Diversity
Working Hours: 35 hours per week, 8am-4pm Monday-Friday, flexibility with hours required to meet facility operations and demands.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands
- Safe use of all protective / barrier equipment as required by the employer
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
Criminal record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Salary will be based on a range from $45,000.00 – $50,000.00 depending on education and level of experience.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Group Benefits
- Employer matched RRSP
- A variety of discounted programs and services
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Gary Furlong, General Manager at email@example.com by 4:00pm on Monday, December 13th, 2021.
Please include the position you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed