Camp Physical Literacy Specialist
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 5th year and continues to evolve. Using space in the Field House, and enormous Aquatics Centre, as well as additional classroom space, and the outdoor space surrounding the Centre, we will be inviting children between the ages of 5 and 12 to come enjoy the summer at our beautiful facility.
The Camp Physical Activity Specialist will be responsible for the planning and the daily execution of active camp programming. The Canada Games Centre camps follow the Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) directives for age appropriate physical literacy programs and all camp activities will be expected to fall in line with those principles. The Camp Physical Activity Specialist should be familiar with these principles and be proficient in educating children on proper fundamental movement skills. While this position is mainly expected to be surrounding the physical activity aspect of camps, daily involvement in camp drop-off and pick up will also be expected. It may also be necessary to be on Field Trips when groups leave the Centre.
- Plan and deliver all daily physical activity sessions
- Ensure that all scheduled activities are engaging to campers, are age and stage appropriate in accordance with Canada Sport 4 Life physical activity guidelines
- Record campers Physical Literacy progress
- Ensure that camp counsellors are appropriately prepared for any activities that are self-guided and have had a chance to adequately review any applicable literature before they are to deliver that activity
- Aide in the daily supervision during all camp scenarios (not limited to creative times).
- Aide in the daily sign-in/out of campers at Centre Drop-Off
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a full time student in University
- Preference will be given to students in fields related to recreation and fitness (Ex: Kinesiology, Recreation Leadership, Outdoor Leadership, Fitness, etc.)
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR-C
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience in a coaching setting
- Previous experience leading a group of peers
- Customer Service Experience
- Previous creative experience in a camp setting
- Current certifications in NCCP FMS, High Five, and/or other NCCP Coaching Certifications that are sport specific
- Current AED Certification
- Conversational French would be considered an asset
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Strong background in physical activity/sport instruction as well as an employee, volunteer or participant.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills.
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills.
- Dedication to Customer Service
- Ability to coach, train and guide peers and participants.
- These positions will be a full time role beginning June 22nd, 2015 and ending August 28th, 2015. Please note you must also be available for mandatory staff training June 13th,14th, 20th and 21st.
- This position will be regularly schedule from Monday to Friday. Hours on camp days will vary between 7:15am – 5:45pm. Flexibility for training shifts and adapting to camp needs will be required, and will be worked out in advance with supervisor.
- Vacation days are not realistic in the camp environment and will most likely not be granted.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Wage will be $12.25-13.25/hour (plus 4% vacation pay).
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
Interested candidates should apply in writing. Deadline for applications is February 22, 2015. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for. A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Zach Fralick, Human Resources Generalist, at email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. “Sky Drive” attachments are not accepted. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed