This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 5th year and continues to evolve. Using space in the Field House, and enormous Aquatics Centre, as well as additional classroom space, and the outdoor space surrounding the Centre, we will be inviting children between the ages of 5 and 12 to come enjoy the summer at our beautiful facility.
Camp Counsellors will be responsible for the on-site supervision and daily execution of the 2015 Canada Games Centre Summer Camps as directed by the Recreation Program Coordinator and camp administrative staff. You will be responsible for daily supervision of children to ensure their safety and happiness. Other responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, set up and clean-up of activities, playing games with children, supervision during lunch hour, and supervising sign-in and sign-out at the beginning and end of each day. The Camp Counsellors position will report daily to the Recreation Program Supervisor and Aquatics Program Supervisor. As there will also be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role as well. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise.
- Mentoring a small group of staff each week.
- Work with other counsellors to develop weekly and daily schedules for individual groups of children.
- Communicate daily with team members.
- Work alongside Camp Specialists for pre-determined daily activities
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics Services to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre.
- Supervise groups of children on outings. Public Transit will sometimes be used on these Field Trips.
- Successful candidates must be comfortable supervising children on public transit and off-site.
- Complete additional projects as assigned by the Community Recreation & Field House Coordinator.
- Ability to work early and late drop off and pick-ups (as required)
- Must be a full time student in University
- Preference will be given to students in fields related to recreation and child education (Ex: Kinesiology, Recreation Management, Leisure Studies, Education, Early Childhood Education, Psychology, etc.)
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR-C
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience leading a group of peers
- Customer Service Experience
- Current AED Certification
- Conversational French would be considered an asset
- Working/Playing knowledge of a host of sports such as but not limited to: Basketball, Volleyball, Badminton, Table Tennis, etc.
Knowledge and Education
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer or participant.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills.
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills.
- Dedication to Customer Service
- Ability to coach, train, and guide peers and participants.
- These positions will be a full time role beginning July 2nd, 2014 and ending August 28th, 2014. Please note you must also be available for mandatory staff training June 14th, 20th and 21st.
- Hours will consist of daytime hours. Schedules may vary slightly between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm. Other weekend hours may be required, and will be worked out in advance with supervisor.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional and mental demands on infrequent occasion.
- Vacation days are not realistic in the camp environment and will most likely not be granted.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
$11.25-12.25/hour (plus 4% vacation pay).
What’s In It For You?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
Interested candidates should apply in writing. Deadline for applications is June 10th, 2015. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for. A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to the Canada Games Centre e-mail address email@example.com. Please include position you are applying for in the subject line. “Sky Drive” attachments are not accepted. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed