This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes and will for generations to come. As a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, it provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and is a major sports, training, and competition facility in Atlantic Canada. The Canada Games Centre is a 176,000 sq ft state-of-the-art community recreation facility. Visit us at www.canadagamescentre.ca.
The Building Operator will be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the facility and its physical plants, ensuring the physical surroundings are clean, tidy and free of safety hazards. It involves designated maintenance and operational checks of all equipment. By working safely and cooperatively with others, this position will contribute to meeting the operational objectives of the Canada Games Centre.
Specific Accountabilities & Duties
- Operates mechanical equipment in a safe, efficient manner at all times, conducts repairs to HVAC system component as required. Must be familiar with all aspects of building operation.
- Operate Energy Management Control System experience with DDC controls preferably with Johnson Controls.
- Operate natural gas boilers, heat pumps, solar hot water heating and security systems
- Supervise and coordinate all Contractors, Trades and Service providers and liaise with other building departments in the best interest of the Centre.
- Conducts regular, thorough inspections of mechanical and electrical area, reporting serious deficiencies to the supervisor.
- Ensures that building standards and efficiency are maintained or enhanced.
- Conducts regularly assigned building Preventative Maintenance Program assignments. Maintain daily maintenance logs of all equipment.
- Conducts regular site inspections ensuring that building equipment meets scheduled and periodic maintenance requirements.
- Carries out minor maintenance and cleaning requirements on a scheduled or periodic basis.
- Maintains all service tools and equipment in good working condition and arranges for repair or replacement as required.
- Perform and /or monitor building security requirements and Fire Alarm/sprinkler systems Assist with set-up of special events.
- Completion of high school
- A Certified 4th class Power Engineer or Certified Building Operator A or equivalent related schooling
- WHMIS, First Aid /CPR certification
- Independent worker/self-starter organized and detailed oriented
- Able to handle multiple demands and competing priorities
- Pool Operator 2 Certification
- Valid driver’s license
- Scissor lift and Boom lift training
- Fall protection awareness training
Knowledge & Education
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in building operations
- Knowledge of building systems including mechanical/electrical/ and HVAC
- Knowledge of pool operations
- Knowledge of basic computer skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
Service Orientation, Communication, Customer Service, Problem Solving, Flexibility, Initiative, Relationship Building, Teamwork & Cooperation, Valuing Diversity
37.5 hours per week
5:00am – 12:00am Monday – Sunday, flexibility for shifts required.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands
- Safe use of all protective / barrier equipment as required by the employer
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
Please note that a Criminal record checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Hourly rate will be based on a range from $18.46 – $23.59, depending on education and experience.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Group Benefits
- Employer matched RRSP
- A variety of discounted programs and services
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit your resume to Alex Oschypko at email@example.com no later than 4:00pm on Tuesday, January 16, 2018.
Please include the position you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed