This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 6th year and continues to grow. Using space in our community rooms, Field House, Aquatics Centre and the outdoors, we will be inviting children between the ages of 5 and 12 to come enjoy the summer at our beautiful facility. Visit us at www.canadagamescentre.ca.
The Summer Camp Behaviour Specialist will be responsible for the daily supervision of children that require one on one attention due to specific behavioural needs. This will include ensuring the child’s personal and behavioural needs are adequately met, making modifications to include them in all camp activities, and ensuring their overall safety and happiness while in our care. You will also be required to communicate with parents/guardians daily to ensure continued proper care. This position will report daily to the Recreation Program Supervisor. As there will also be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Caring for individuals needing extra attention on a one-on-one basis
- Personal care of participant (based on their individual behavioural needs)
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise.
- Work in conjunction with Aquatic staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre.
- To assess conflict situations and exercise good judgment in recommending solutions
- To manage and control problem behaviours
- Implement strategies both short and long term for individual campers that are having behaviour issues
- To assist and support camp staff in dealing with difficult behaviours
- Rotate through the camp groups keeping an eye out for inappropriate behaviours and possible triggers.
- Work towards creating a safe, comfortable camp culture with an anti-bullying program
- Complete additional projects as assigned
- Must be a full time student in University who will be returning to full-time studies in the fall (proof of enrollment will be requested)
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR-C (will be offered prior to start)
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience in a setting where children with behavioural concerns are the main focus and knowledge on adapting activities to suit a host of needs
- Customer Service Experience
- Working/Playing knowledge of a variety of sports.
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer or participant.
- Strong knowledge of various behaviours such as inattention, hyperactivity, aggression and other behavioural disorders.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills.
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills.
- Dedication to Customer Service
- Ability to coach, train and guide peers and participants.
- This position will be a full time role beginning July 4, 2016 and ending September 2, 2016. Please note you must also be available for mandatory staff training June 4, 18, and 19.
- Hours will consist of daytime hours.
- Schedules vary slightly between the hours of 7:30am and 6:00pm.
- Vacation days are not realistic in the camp environment and will not be granted.
- Working environment includes physical, emotional and mental demands on infrequent occasions.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
Criminal record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
The hourly wage for this position is $11.75 – $12.75/hour.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
Interested candidates should apply in writing. Deadline for applications is February 19, 2016. Please indicate in your application which position you are applying for. A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions. Interviews for this position will be scheduled on an individual basis and will take place with the selection panel.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to the Canada Games Centre e-mail address email@example.com.
Please include position you are applying for in the subject line. “Sky Drive” attachments are not accepted. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed