Aquatics Program Supervisor
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes for generations to come. It is a national leading multi-purpose recreation and sport facility providing a centre for the community, promoting healthy and active living for citizens and a major sports training and competition facility in Atlantic Canada.
Under the direction of the Aquatics Program Coordinator, this leadership role will be responsible for daily supervision of staff, planning of programs and daily schedules, and aid in the development of Aquatic programs for the Canada Games Centre. Additionally, this role performs administrative functions, assists with the delivery of programs, assists with personnel matters and ensures safety policies and procedures are adhered to. The Aquatics Program Supervisor will also be responsible for overseeing the swim instructor staff and assisting with the overall operation of the Swim for Life program.
This role is also responsible for ensuring all safety and teaching guidelines are followed. In addition to a commitment to exceptional customer service and a positive customer experience, the Aquatics Program Supervisor must be highly organized, manage time effectively, and complete scheduling tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Accommodate a variable work schedule that may include early mornings, late evenings, weekends and university breaks (current schedule is Monday to Friday from 11:00am-7:00pm; Saturday and Sunday from 7:45am-3:45pm; with two of the seven days share with a lesson supervisor)
- Oversee staff schedules for aquatic programs and camps and overall supervision and first line of contact for patron concerns
- Expand and improve current program offerings and to increase value to participants through the development of new programs
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics Program Coordinator to ensure program development aligns with the Centre’s values and Canadian Sport for Life vision for programs
- Assist in developing and expanding any procedural documents and training materials necessary for staff training
- Assist with school and public rentals/imputing programs in registration system/compiling up-to-date class list/updating iwork (online scheduling program)
- Evaluation of staff and programs to ensure a high standard of quality program is delivered.
- Capable of using independent judgment when needed, a professional demeanor under pressure and taking charge of emergency situations in absence of the Aquatics Program Coordinator
- Leadership skills that instill confidence and trust in fellow employees and public
- Work cooperatively with all levels in the organization (supervisors, staff, members and patrons)
- Post-secondary education in Recreation/Business Management or related experience
- 3 to 5 years of work experience in an aquatic setting in a Supervisory role
- Experience in leading and developing young inexperienced staff
- Program planning and adaptation
- Customer Service training and experience
- National Lifeguard Service (NLS)
- Standard First Aid (SFA), Oxygen Administration
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)/SFL Instructor or YMCA Instructor
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI) (with Bronze Examiners )
- NLS Instructor
- Lifesaving/Swim for Life or WSI or YMCA Instructor Trainer
- Aquatic Fitness Instructor
- Pool Operator I
- Legend computer systems experience
- High Five PHCD or Sport Trainer
- iwork scheduling systems experience
Knowledge and Education
- Ability to respond quickly and accurately while remaining calm in emergency situations, strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills to communicate effectively with all patrons and fellow staff
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Ability to coach, train and guide staff, volunteers and participants
- Hours will consist of varied weekday and weekend shifts. Expanded hours will be required during week 1 and week 9 of programs and during staff evaluation periods
- Working environment includes physical, emotional and mental demands
- Safe lifting, carrying and first aid techniques
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
Criminal record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
The compensation for this position will be based on a range from $32,000-$42,000 depending on education and level of experience.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Group benefits
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, August 19th, 2021.
Please include position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed