Aquatics Group Fitness Instructor
Closes November 15, 2019
The Canada Games Centre is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre open to the public. We are an HRM-owned facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high-performance sport and athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an all-inclusive environment.
The Aquatics Group Fitness Instructor will be responsible for instructing classes and motivating members and guests of the Canada Games Centre towards their goals. The ideal candidate must embody the values of the Canada Games Centre and demonstrate said values while instructing classes and interacting with anyone they encounter while at the Centre. A Canada Games Centre Aquatics Group Fitness Instructor is well prepared and enthusiastic in the delivery of fitness classes to participants of all ages and abilities. We are currently looking for enthusiastic instructors to fill as a sub and/or take over at least one (1) weekly class.
- Self-motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision
- Thrives while teaching in a variety of settings at various temperatures and humidity
- Thrives in a loud environment and can remain focused to deliver quality classes despite distractions
- Willing and able to demonstrate multiple intensity options for all fitness levels
- Working knowledge of anatomy and physiology
- Demonstrated ability to create intelligent, effective, safe and purposeful full-body workouts that incorporate intervals, resistance training, stretching, and anaerobic conditioning in order to meet our various class needs
- Provide safe instruction, including modifications, to all participants
- Ensure your workspace is prepared for each class by setting up equipment and removing hazards
- Make exercise fun and enjoyable for the group
- Teach exercises by breaking down complex movements and demonstrating exercises for a variety of participants with differing physical and mental abilities ranging from severe chronic disability to fully functional
- Demonstrate all exercises and stretches clearly
- Communicate effectively when instructing a class, i.e., loud and clear voice, well-timed, succinct cueing, offer corrections in a friendly manner, change your physical and verbal instructions on-the-go as necessary
- Motivate and engage participants
- Change routine regularly to avoid complacency and plateaus
- Certification in group exercise discipline such as FIS, YMCA, Can Fit Pro, NSFA, SFIC, etc., and/or class-specific certification such as Zumba, Spin, Older Adult, Pre-post natal, Yoga, Kettlebells, CALA or other
- CPR and First Aid certifications
- Minimum one (1) year teaching group fitness classes
- Physical ability and adequate fitness to safely demonstrate all exercises and modifications
- AED Training
- Older Adult exercise training and certification
- Heart Wise Certification
WHY WORK AT THE CANADA GAMES CENTRE?
- Free staff membership to CGC which includes pool, sauna, hot tub, over 85 drop-in classes/week, track, court bookings and more!; valued at over $600
- Free annual CPR-C courses offered monthly on weekdays and weekends at present; $60+ value
- Paid in-house trainings to hone skills, learn about specialty populations, and interact with fellow instructors
- 50% off registered programs like swimming lessons, pickleball workshops, pilates and more!
- Discounted family add-ons for membership to CGC
- Freedom to create classes, routines, and playlists as you see fit, or borrow DVDs from our library to learn or freshen-up routines; borrow playlists from our back-up iPod and mp3 player
- Free access to PTontheNet, our online subscription which provides access to free and discounted fitness, wellness, and nutrition courses, existing exercise programs, and thousands of exercises, educational articles, and videos
- Opportunities for exceptional instructors to receive free registration in a training course or certification offered multiple times a year; e.g., YogaFit at a $460 value
Salary will be based on certifications and experience. Salary ranges from $24.00 – $30.00 per hour/class and will be based on on your experience and audition results.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and résumé, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Zach Fralick at email@example.com.
Please note that you will be asked to provide a class demonstration as part of the hiring process.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.