Aquatics Fitness Instructor
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre open to the public. We are an HRM-owned facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high performance sport & athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an all-inclusive environment.
The Aquatics Group Fitness Instructor will be responsible for instructing classes and motivating members and guests of the Canada Games Centre towards their goals. The ideal candidate must embody the values of the Canada Games Centre and demonstrate said values while instructing classes and interacting with anyone they encounter while at the Centre. A Canada Games Centre Aquatics Group Fitness Instructor is well prepared and enthusiastic in the delivery of fitness classes to participants of all ages and abilities.
You must be able to work in a loud pool environment where there are multiple programs going on simultaneously and loud enough to be heard by participants. You must be able to demonstrate multiple intensity options to participants so that everyone can enjoy the drop-in class environment. We are currently looking for enthusiastic instructors to fill in as a sub for shallow aqua fitness classes while staff is away for the summer, as well as for excellent candidates to be given a regular class on the fall schedule for 2018. All instructors are expected to choose appropriate music for the activity, and must be able to demonstrate exercises both on deck and in the pool (deep and shallow).
• Provide safe instruction (including modifications) to all participants
• Ensure your work-space is prepared for each class by setting up equipment and removing hazard
• Make exercise fun and enjoyable for the group
• You must be able to teach exercises by breaking down complex movements and demonstrating exercises for a large variety of participants (ages up to-90 years; large range of physical and mental abilities from severe chronic disability to full functioning physical ability)
• You must be able to clearly demonstrate/and or communicate all exercises and stretches that you teach
• You must be able to communicate effectively when instructing an aquatic group fitness class (i.e. loud clear voice, well timed and succinct cueing, offering corrections in a friendly manner, changing your physical and verbal instructions on the fly as necessary to ensure participants understand)
• Keep participants motivated and engaged for the entire class
• Class routines must be change regularly to avoid complacency from participants and instructor.
• Current Certification in group exercise discipline such as (FIS, YMCA, Can Fit Pro, NSFA, SFIC, etc.)
• Water Art Certification or CALA Certification
• CPR + First Aid certifications
• Minimum one year teaching group Aqua fitness classes
• Ability to safely demonstrate all exercises on land or in water (for Aquafit especially)
• Must be a strong swimmer and/or be able to teach comfortably in deep or shallow water
• AED Training
• Older adult exercise training and certification
• Heart Wise Certification
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Working knowledge of anatomy physiology
• Ability to create a fitness class and pair music to beats required for a specific activity
• You must know how to intelligently put together a variety of full body workouts that incorporate intervals, resistance training, stretching, and anaerobic conditioning in order to meet our various class needs (Cardio Core Aquafit, Resistance-based Aquafit, Deep water- Aquafit, Gentle Aquafit)
Salary will be based on certifications and experience.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and résumé, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Zach Fralick at email@example.com.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.
Please note that hiring will be on an on-going basis and candidates will be asked to provide a class demonstration as part of the hiring process.This opportunity is now closed