After School Program Team Lead
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre is a state-of-the-art multi-purpose sport and recreation facility. We promote healthy and active living for citizens. Driven by our passion, leadership, and teamwork, we strive to achieve innovative programming and exceptional guest experiences.
Drawing from both the Halifax Regional Centre for Education and the Conseil Scholaire Acadien Provincial, Canada Games Centre After School Program participants will enjoy swim times, fun activities, and recreational games throughout our facility.
The After School Program Team Lead is responsible for the planning, on-site supervision, and daily execution of activities within the After School Program. This includes being the first point of contact for parents, taking attendance, coordination and supervision of bus drop-offs, and the management of any issues or concerns that may arise. This position reports to the Recreation Coordinator. As there is a high level of interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service is the key to success in this role.
- Ensure participant safety at all times
- Ensure all participants are actively engaged, motivated and safe
- Problem solving any issues that may arise
- Report appropriate concerns to the department supervisor
- Communicate as required with parents and guardians
- Provide leadership and instruction for activities
- Modify activities for participants with special needs
- Assist in developing program schedules
- Communicate absences with team members daily
- Contact parents and guardians regarding absences
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre
- Complete additional projects as assigned by the Recreation Coordinator
- Current CPR (or willing to obtain prior to start of program)
- Previous experience in an After School Program
- Experience in a recreation centre
- Current student in the field of Education, Child & Youth Studies, Kinesiology, etc.
- Previous supervisory experience
- Customer Service experience
- Current AED certification
- Ability to lead arts & crafts projects
- Bilingualism is considered an asset
Knowledge & Education
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Dedication to exceptional Customer Service
- Ability to coach, train, and guide staff and participants
- Applicants must be available to work minimum a of three to give days per week from 2:00pm—6:00pm
- Availability on HRCE/CSAP Professional Development days are required
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry Checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
The compensation for this position is $13.25 per hour.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- A variety of discounted programs and services
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 6:00pm on Wednesday, September 15, 2021.
Please include the position you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed