Making a Splash at Provincials
CGC Swim Academy Masters Swim Team Highlights
June 30, 2022
The CGC Swim Academy’s Masters Swim Team put their training and hard work on display at the 2022 Nova Scotia Masters Provincials with excellent results. Hosted at the Wilsons Aquatic Centre in Truro on May 28th, the Team raced their way to 20 medals!
“After two and a half years of no competitions, it was wonderful to see so many of our dedicated masters swimmers enter and compete in the Provincial Championships last month,” says Coach Victoria. “Our swimmers have continued to improve all season even with the uncertainty surrounding competitions in the fall and the winter, and it showed at the meet as the team came away with 11 gold, 6 silver, and 3 bronze medals!”
CGCSA Masters Swim Team members who competed at Provincials are Laura Ankcorn, Cindy Dyer, Carmen Fitzpatrick, Shelley Hindle, Jen Hoyt, Amy Middleton, Helena Piccinini-Vallis and Colleen Purcell.
Congratulations to CGCSA Masters swimmers on their outstanding performances at Provincials!
Here’s a summary of the results:
- Ankcorn | Gold in the Women’s (40-44 years) 100m Freestyle; 50m Butterfly and 100m Medley
- Dyer | Gold in the Women’s (60-64 years) 50m Freestyle and 100m Freestyle; Silver in the Women’s 100m Medley
- Fitzpatrick | Gold in Women’s (25-29 years) 50m Breaststroke and 100m Breaststroke; Bronze in the Women’s 50m Freestyle and 100m Freestyle; Silver in the Women’s 200m Freestyle
- Middleton | Silver in Women’s (45-49 years) 50m Freestyle; 100m Backstroke and 100m Medley; Bronze in the Women’s 50m Butterfly
- Piccinini-Vallis | Gold in Women’s (60-64 years) 100m Backstroke; 200m Backstroke and 100m Medley
- Purcell | Gold in Women’s (50-54 years) 50m Freestyle and 200m Freestyle
- 4 x 50m Freestyle Relay (Ankcorn, Fitzpatrick, Middleton, and Piccinini-Vallis): Silver
To see the rest of the results from the competition, please visit the 2022 Nova Scotia Masters Provincials website.
About the CGC Swim Academy Masters Swim Team
The Masters Swim Team promotes fun, fitness, health, fellowship and participation among adult swimmers, while also providing guidance and leadership to support the development of both noncompetitive and competitive adult swimmers. Masters swimming is based on regular training sessions using practice techniques similar to those used in swim programs all over the world, including flexibility, strength, and aerobic conditioning. It is a blend of recreational and fitness swimming for adults, with the option to compete.
The program is open to adults 18 years and older who have at least a basic swimming ability and can comfortably swim 75 meters. No previous competitive background is necessary and you do not have to compete as a Masters swimmer. The most important prerequisite for becoming involved with this Swim Academy program is the desire to learn and grow in a fun and stimulating environment.
Registration for the CGCSA Masters Swim Team 2022-2023 season will begin in August. For more details, look for the CGC’s Fall 2022 Program Guide coming to the website the week of July 25th to 31st.