This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes and will continue to do so for generations to come. As a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, it provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and a major new sports training and competition facility in Atlantic Canada. The Canada Games Centre is a 176,000 square feet state-of-the-art community recreation facility.
Reporting to the Aquatic Operations Coordinator and Aquatics Program Coordinator under the leadership of aquatic supervisors, you will provide safe and enjoyable aquatic opportunities for the public through the provision of lifeguarding and instructional services. You will prevent injuries through public education, instruction, and safety supervision of both recreational and competitive swimmers. When appropriate, you will respond to both injuries and incidents. Answering public inquiries, ensuring safe water quality, and maintaining a clean aquatic and change room area is all part of your customer-oriented approach.
- Ensure the safety of patrons through prevention and timely response to injuries, incidents, and emergencies
- Provide emergency care and treatment
- Enhance customer engagement through adhering to and delivering public education on programs, policies and procedures, and safety supervision standards
- Complete administrative/risk management duties and responsibilities accurately and within set deadlines
- Delivery quality instruction and programs
- Maintain required certification(s) for position(s) held
- Complete various maintenance responsibilities as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility/environment
- Perform other duties aligned with the policy and procedure manual, and as assigned by supervisory direction
- Maintain a level of fitness and training necessary to fulfill the practical, knowledge-related, and judgemental components of lifeguarding and instructing
- Coach, mentor, and develop new lifeguards and instructor
Mandatory (To be maintained as a condition of employment)
- National Lifeguard Service Award (NLS) – Pool Option (current within two years)
- Instructional Awards (current within two years – minimum of one award)
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI)
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Swim for Life Instructor
- YMCA Instructor
- Standard First Aid (current within two years)
- CPR-C and/or HCP (current within one year)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a larger team
- Ability to promote drowning prevention through public education, demonstration, and special events
- Problem-solving skills and judgment
- Ability and willingness to be flexible in a high paced, developing environment
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful, cooperative, and professional working
relationships with colleagues, supervisors, users, and community
- Experience dealing with various populations (individuals, families, groups, corporate, seniors, etc.)
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
Please note that Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Wage is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job to Janet Parry at email@example.com.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed