Swim Academy Swim Coach
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes and will for generations to come. As a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, it provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and is a major new sports training and competition facility in Atlantic Canada. Visit us at www.canadagamescentre.ca.
Reporting to the Swim Academy Head Coach, this role involves striving to deliver the highest quality coaching to CGC Swim Academy Program.
- Work with the Swim Academy Head Coach and assistant coaches to develop and deliver all aspects of the CGC Swim Academy’s Swim, Water Polo and Lifesaving Sport programs
- Interact with swimmers, parents, and coaches in a manner that adheres to the Canada Games Centre’s long term athlete development model and program philosophy
- Create and effectively run practices and implement long term practice plans
- Establish a reliable and professional on-deck presence
- Attend required local meets and competitions
- Implement swimmer evaluation and development strategies
- Communicate with Swim Nova Scotia and other PSO’s
- Ensure that knowledge, skills, and qualifications are kept up-to-date
- Good knowledge and understanding of the discipline of swimming
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with swimmers and parents
- Ability to report on progress to the Swim Academy Head Coach
- Have a good working knowledge of child protection procedures
- Ability to forge relationships with neighboring clubs and facility providers
- Experience with Water Polo and Lifesaving Sport would be desirable
- Experience with Diving would be desirable
- Minimum 2 to 4 years of competitive coaching experience
- Standard First Aid with CPR Level C and AED (SFA with CPR Level C and AED)
- Trained NCCP Community Sport Coach Level 1 or willing to take the certification
- FMS and High Five training is considered an asset
- Swim for Life Instructor (SFLI) or Water Safety Instructor (WSI) is considered an asset
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, and well organized
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Working knowledge of FMS principles, Canadian Sport for Life model and the Get More from Sports philosophy
- Computer skills, i.e., Microsoft Office, Hytek, etc.
- Desire to continue professional development
- Willingness to learn new components of competitive swimming and modern coaching techniques
- Divers license and access to a vehicle
- Requirement to work flexible hours – morning, day, evening, and weekends
- Summer season May to September: approximately 20-35 hours weekly, September to June: approximately 10 to 20 hours weekly
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands
- Safe use of all protective / barrier equipment as required by the employer
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
The wage scale for this position is $11.50 – $14.50 per hour.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- 50% off CGC programs
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
For information on the Canada Games Centre Swim Academy, please visit our website.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and résumé outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Lauren Ching at email@example.com.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed