Swim Academy Head Coach
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes and will for generations to come. As a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, it provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and is a major new sports training and competition facility in Atlantic Canada. Visit us at www.canadagamescentre.ca.
Reporting to the CGCSA Operational Committee, this role involves striving to deliver the highest quality coaching and team leadership to CGC Swim Academy, which encompasses four programs: Year Round Swim Program, Summer Swim Program, Water Polo/Lifesaving Program, and a Masters (adult) Swim Program. This position supervises between 8 to 12 assistant coaches. The head coach reports to the CGCSA Operational Committee with the Aquatic Program Coordinator being the main point of contact.
- Work with CGCSA Operational Committee, parent advisory board, and assistant coaches to develop and deliver all aspects of the CGC Swim Academy program
- Interact with swimmers, parents, and coaches in a manner that adheres to the Canada Games Centre’s long term athlete development model and program philosophy
- Create and effectively run practices and implement long term practice plans for swimming, water polo and lifesaving sport programs
- Establish a reliable and professional on-deck presence
- Attend all required local meets and competitions
- Implement swimmer evaluation and development strategies
- Communicate with Swim Nova Scotia and other PSO’s
- Ensure that knowledge, skills, and qualifications are kept up-to-date
- Recruit coaching staff, supervise their performance, and manage their schedules including substitutes
- Good knowledge and understanding of the discipline of swimming
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to confidently lead and develop a coaching team
- Ability to communicate effectively with swimmers, parents, and parent advisory board
- Ability to report on progress to the advisory board and to liaise and work with the Committee and poolside assistants
- Have a good working knowledge of child protection procedures
- Ability to forge relationships with neighboring clubs and facility providers
- Minimum 2 to 4 years of competitive coaching experience
- Standard First Aid with CPR Level C and AED (SFA with CPR Level C and AED)
- Age Group Coach (Level 2) or Senior Coach (Level 3)
- Water Polo Canada Community Coach, Competitive Water Polo Coach, or ILWP Instructor (or willingness to obtain within the first 6 months)
- Lifesaving Sport Coach Level 1 (or willingness to obtain within the first 6 months)
- FMS and High Five training is considered an asset
- Swim for Life Instructor (SFLI) or Water Safety Instructor (WSI) is considered an asset
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated, and well organized
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Working knowledge of FMS principles, Canadian Sport for Life model and the Get More from Sports philosophy
- Computer skills, i.e., Microsoft Office, Hytek, etc.
- Desire to continue professional development
- Willingness to learn new components of competitive swimming and modern coaching techniques
- Divers license and access to a vehicle
- Requirement to work flexible hours – morning, day, evening, and weekends
- Approximately 30 to 35 hours weekly
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands
- Safe use of all protective / barrier equipment as required by the employer
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
The wage scale for this position is $17.00 – $22.00 per hour.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- 50% off CGC programs
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
For information on the Canada Games Centre Swim Academy, please visit our website.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and résumé outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Scott Preston at firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday, August 13th.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed