Summer Camp: Supervisor
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 10th year and continues to grow. Our program is available for children between the ages of 5 to 12 and takes advantage of all that our 176,000 square foot state-of-the-art community recreation facility has to offer. Typical days include everything from swimming in one of the three pools in our massive aquatics centre, playing physically active games on the 52,000 square feet of hardwood court space in our Field House, running laps on our 200-metre 6-lane indoor track, crafts and classroom activities in one of our many community rooms, as well as outdoor play opportunities on our brand new playground.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Summer Camp Supervisor will be responsible for the overall creation and planning of curriculum for all summer camps. Other responsibilities include: daily duties such as planning, implementing, supervising, and evaluating camp programs. The successful candidate must be highly organized and have a strong administrative background, but also experience and willingness to work in the camp setting when necessary.
- Responsible for creating and developing weekly camp programming schedules
- Ensuring camp activities are set up for each camp
- Facilitating activities as needed
- Organized field trips and special guests
- Assist the daily sign in/out process
- Assist with staff management
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be a full-time student in University who will be returning to full-time studies in the Fall (proof of enrollment will be requested)
- Preference will be given to students in fields related to recreation and child education (e.g., Recreation Management, Kinesiology, Education, Early Childhood Education)
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR-C (will be offered prior to start)
- Customer Service experience
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience leading a group of peers
- Experience in a customer service setting
- Previous office experience.
- Experience with RecTrac software is considered an asset
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Previous experience in an office setting and in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Dedication to Customer Service
- This is a full-time position beginning May 25th, 2020 and ending August 28th, 2020
- Shifts are scheduled for 8.5 hours and will start and end between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday
- Flexibility for training shifts and adapting to camp needs will be required and will be worked out in advance with the Recreation Coordinators
- Vacation day requests are not realistic in our camp environment and will not be granted
- Please note that you must be available for mandatory staff training on June 11th, 17th, 20th and 21st, 2020
- $14.50 to $15.50 per hour
- Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
- A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, March 12th, 2020.
Please include the position that you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed