Summer Camp: Inclusion Counsellor
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre summer camp program is available for children between the ages of 5 and 12 and takes advantage of all that our 176,000-square foot state-of-the-art community recreation facility has to offer. Typical days include swimming in our Aquatics Centre, playing physically active games on our 52,000-square feet of hardwood court space in our Field House, running laps on our 200-metre six-lane indoor Track, crafting and classroom activities in one of our many community rooms, as well as outdoor play opportunities on our playground.
The Summer Camp Inclusion Counsellor will be responsible for the daily supervision of children in our Inclusion Program that require one-on-one attention. This will include ensuring the child’s personal and developmental needs are adequately met, making modifications to include them in all camp activities and ensuring their overall safety and happiness while in our care. You will also be required to communicate with parents/guardians daily to ensure continued proper care. This position will report daily to the Recreation Coordinator. As there will also be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
- Care for individuals requiring extra attention on a one-on-one basis
- Personal care of participant (based on their individual needs)
- Responsible for daily reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise.
- Develop weekly and daily schedules for your assigned camper.
- Based on camp schedules, develop and use any additional scheduling or communication tools the participant needs
- Communicate daily with team members to ensure inclusion is properly facilitated.
- Work in conjunction with Aquatic staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre.
- Complete additional projects as assigned.
- Must be a full-time student in University who will be returning to full-time studies in the fall (proof of enrollment will be requested)
- Preference will be given to students in fields related to adapted physical activity in recreation and child education (Ex: Nursing, Therapeutic Recreation, Education)
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR-C (will be offered prior to start)
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience in a setting where children with special abilities are the main focus and knowledge on adapting activities to suit a host of needs
- Customer Service experience
- Working/playing knowledge of a variety of sports
Knowledge and Education:
- Strong knowledge of different cognitive and physical disabilities and how to properly work with children with such abilities
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer or participant
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Dedication to Customer Service
- This is full-time position beginning June 20th, 2022 and ending August 26th, 2022
- Shifts are scheduled for 8.5 hours and will start and end between the hours of 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday
- Please note that you must be available for mandatory staff training on June 25th and 26th
- $14.85 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
- The Canada Games Centre has a Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy which requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of full vaccination will be verified prior to the commencement of employment.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to email@example.com by Sunday, March 20, 2022.
Please include the position(s) that you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents may result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed