Summer Camp: Camp Assistant
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre (CGC) is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are a 176,000 sqft facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high performance sport & athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an inclusive environment. Located in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and traditional lands of the Mi’kmaq people, the CGC acknowledges the Peace & Friendship Treaties signed in this Territory and recognizes that we are all Treaty People.
Together, we inspire healthy active living.
The Canada Games Centre summer camp program is available for children between the ages of 5 and 12 and takes advantage of all that our community recreation facility has to offer. Typical days include swimming in our Aquatics Centre, playing physically active games on our 52,000-square feet of hardwood court space in our Field House, running laps on our 200-metre six-lane indoor Track, crafting and classroom activities in one of our many community rooms, as well as outdoor play opportunities on our playground.
The Summer Camp Assistant will be responsible for assisting with the daily planning and facilitation of camper sign-in/out, attendance tracking, and other scheduling duties. The Summer Camp Assistant with assist with the planning and implementing of all summer camp programs to ensure all campers’ needs are being met. The successful candidate must be highly organized and have a strong administrative background but also experience and willingness to work in the camp setting when necessary.
- Assist with daily sign in/out process
- Assist with the creation and development weekly camp programming schedules
- Assist with planning and developing crafts and activities to match the theme of weekly camps
- Assist with weekly camper swim tests
- Organize camp rosters, information binders, etc.
- Assist with the overall program delivery of summer camp programs
- Assist with managing a staff team of up to 45 staff throughout the summer
- Assist as needed campers in changerooms and accompany them in the pool during swimming
- Collect and organize camp waivers for all participants before they attend camp
- Provide relief and assistance for the Inclusion and Behaviour Counsellors
- Provide coverage for camp counsellors as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be entering full-time post-secondary studies in the fall semester or returning to full-time post-secondary studies in the fall (proof of enrollment will be requested)
- Preference will be given to students in fields related to recreation and child education (e.g., Recreation Management, Kinesiology, Education, Early Childhood Education)
- Current Basic Workplace First Aid certificate (formerly Emergency First Aid) and CPR-C (will be offered prior to start)
- Customer Service experience
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Previous experience leading a group of peers
- Experience in a customer service setting
- Previous office experience
- Experience with Legend software is considered an asset
Knowledge and Education
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Previous experience in an office setting and in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Dedication to Customer Service
- This is a full-time position beginning June 12th, 2023 and ending August 25th, 2023
- Shifts are scheduled for 8.5 hours and will start and end between the hours of 8:00am and 5:30pm Monday to Friday
- Flexibility for training shifts and adapting to camp needs will be required and will be worked out in advance with the direct supervisor
- Please note that you must be available for mandatory staff training June 20th-22nd from 6pm-9pm and June 24th from 9am-5pm
- The compensation for this position is $15.85 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to email@example.com by Sunday, March 19th, 2023.
Please include your full name and the position that you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents may result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive environment whose goal is to be a diverse workplace representative of the citizens we serve. Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in occupations where they are under-represented, and the LGBTQIA2S+ community are encouraged to self-identify on your application.This opportunity is now closed