After School Program Team Lead
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes and will for generations to come. As a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, it provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and is a major sports, training, and competition facility in Atlantic Canada. The Canada Games Centre is a 176,000 sq ft state-of-the-art community recreation facility. Visit us at www.canadagamescentre.ca.
Drawing from both the Halifax Regional Centre for Education and the Conseil Scholaire Acadien Provincial, the Canada Games Centre After School Program continues to grow by providing an excellent opportunity for youth to work in a recreation setting and expand their skills set. Children participating in our program will enjoy swim times, fun activities and recreational games in our Field House, and homework time.
The After School Program Team Lead will be responsible for the planning, on site supervision, and daily execution of activities within the After School Program. This includes being the first point of contact for parents, as well as duties such as taking attendance, bus drop-offs, and the management of issues or concerns that may arise. This position will report to the Community Recreation Coordinator. As there will be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required.
Please note that this position has a requirement that the individual be available to work 2 or 3 weekdays per week from 2:00pm – 6:00pm.
- Provide leadership and instruction for activities
- Ensure participant safety at all times
- Ensure all participants are actively engaged, motivated, safe
- Problem solve as issues arise
- Report appropriate concerns to the department supervisor
- Communicate as required with parents and guardians
- Manage activities pool-side
- Modify activities for participants with special needs
- Assist in developing program schedules
- Communicate absences with team members on a daily basis
- Contact parents and guardians regarding absences
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre
- Complete additional projects as assigned by the Community Recreation Coordinator
- Other miscellaneous duties as required
- Current CPR (or willing to obtain prior to start of program)
- Previous experience in our After School Program
- Experience in a sport setting
- Current student in the field of Education, Child & Youth Studies, Kinesiology, etc.
- Previous supervisory experience
- Customer Service experience
- Current AED certification
- Working/playing knowledge of a host of sports such as but not limited to: basketball, volleyball, badminton, etc.
- Ability to lead Arts & Crafts projects
- Bilingualism is considered an asset
KNOWLEDGE & EDUCATION
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Dedication to exceptional Customer Service, and oral skills
- Ability to coach, train, and guide participants
- A commitment to a minimum of two (2) days per week is expected
- Applicants must be available to work 2 to 3 weekdays per week from 2:00pm – 6:00pm
- Availability on Professional Development days will be required
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry Checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
The salary for this positon is $12.50 per hour.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- A variety of discounted programs and services
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:00pm on Friday, August 31, 2018.
Please include the position you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed