This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre open to the public. We are an HRM-owned facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high-performance sport and athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an all-inclusive environment.
Reporting to the Aquatics Operations Supervisor under the direction of the Aquatics Program Coordinator, this role is responsible for delivering the highest quality aquatic experience to our members and guests in our fast-paced, growing environment.
- Ensure the safety of patrons through prevention and timely response to injuries, incidents, and emergencies in programs
- Provide emergency care and treatment
- Enhance customer engagement through adhering to and delivering public education on programs, policies and procedures, and safety supervision standards
- Complete administrative/risk management duties and responsibilities accurately and within set deadlines
- Complete various maintenance responsibilities as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility/environment
- Perform other duties as per the policy and procedures manual, and as assigned by supervisor
- Maintain a level of fitness and training necessary to fulfill the practical, knowledge-related, and judgemental components of lifeguarding and instructing
- Coach, mentor and develop new lifeguards and instructors
- Maintain required qualifications as listed below
Mandatory (to be maintained as a condition of employment)
- National Lifeguard Service Award (NLS) – Pool Option
- Standard First Aid (current, within two years)
- Oxygen Administration
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- High Five, Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS), and Inclusion training
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI)
- Bronze Examiner (Exam Standards Clinic)
- Swim for Life Instructor (SFLI) and/or YMCA Instructor and/or Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Mandatory in-service attendance and completion of monthly in-servicing requirements and professional development
- Must be able available to work early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays/school breaks
- Vacation day requests are not realistic during swim lesson sessions and will not be granted
Please note that Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
The compensation for this role is $12.95 per hour.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, September 14th, 2021.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed