Fitness & Wellness Coordinator
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes and will continue to do so for generations to come. As a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, it provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and a major new sports training and competition facility in Atlantic Canada. The Canada Games Centre is a 176,000 square feet state-of-the-art community recreation facility. Visit us at www.canadagamescentre.ca.
This position is responsible for the coordination of the day-to-day operations of the fitness centre and group exercise offerings at the Canada Games Centre. Responsibilities include staff scheduling and training, program planning and implementation, assisting in the promotion of membership opportunities with the membership team, and providing resources and support to guests and staff.
This position will report directly to the Manager, Service Operations and will aid in providing support and leadership to a staff team of approximately 10 and a group exercise instructor team of approximately 30. In addition to a commitment to exceptional customer service and a positive member experience, the Fitness & Wellness Coordinator must be highly organized, sales focused , manage time effectively, and complete correspondence with members and users of the Canada Games Centre in a timely and efficient manner. This is a client focused role where professionalism and networking are the keys to success. This position requires full-time work, 35 hours per week, with flexibility for working hours between 5:30am and 10:00pm, Monday through Sunday. This includes the potential to be on call when required by facility operations and schedule demands and to serve as the Coordinator on Duty on our duty schedule with other facility Coordinators.
- Hours will consist of dedicated administrative/customer focused hours combined with personal training and group fitness instruction
- Ensure programs exceed revenue targets
- Make recommendations on small equipment purchases and identify cost cutting solutions within the department
- Evaluate staff by providing on-going verbal feedback and periodic, written job performance evaluations
- Responsible for the daily supervision, leadership, task assigning, and scheduling of the fitness centre staff, fitness class instructors, personal trainers, and fitness contractors
- Responsible for coordination of equipment maintenance and operations with CGC staff and external service providers
- Identify staff training needs and conduct orientations as necessary
- Track inventory, supplies, and develop maintenance schedules and service cycles as per equipment guidelines
- Ensure the safety of staff members and fitness users and evaluate systems and procedures on a regular basis
- Create programs for fitness users, group fitness participants, and various interest groups
- Work in conjunction with the Canada Games Centre staff team to coordinate programming to maximize the use of the group fitness room and all fitness areas
- Establish and lead personal training sales targets and ensure they are met and/or exceeded
- Assist membership department with corporate membership partnership in the community
- Generate daily/weekly/monthly reports for various internal and external end-users
- Communicate effectively and in a timely manner with general public, user groups, and staff
- Prepare and submit payroll for staff
- Assist in developing and expanding any procedural documents and training materials necessary for end-users and staff
- Complete additional projects as assigned by the Manager, Service Operations
- Certified Personal Trainer (CSEP-CPT), Certified Exercise Physiologist (CSEP), and/or other equivalents which includes Current First Aid certificate (Standard or CPR-C)
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience working in the fitness & wellness industry in a supervisory position
- Customer management, sales, and corporate partnerships/relations
- Experience working in a community recreation setting
- Detail oriented coupled with strong communication and customer service skills
- Strong organizational and negotiation skills along with demonstrated ability to multi-task
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to exercise discretion, good judgement and tact, and maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Supervisory and leadership experience
- Fitness Instructor Specialist and additional fitness certifications, e.g., TRX, Kettlebell, Spin, Yoga, etc.
- AED Certification
- Knowledge of RecTrac computer software system
- Experience scheduling staff in different areas
KNOWLEDGE & EDUCATION:
- Degree in Kinesiology/Kinetics, Physical Education, or related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Strong background in fitness, programming, recreation and the health industry
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Good working knowledge in a variety of sports and understanding basic strategy, muscle movement, and muscle development to specific sports
- Participate in department meetings, provide updates, and liaise with fitness instructors, personal trainers and the Senior Management Team
- Ability to successfully evaluate program successes and failures
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Ability to coach, train, and guide staff and volunteers
- Knowledge of budgetary processes and reporting systems
Salary will be based on a range from $36,000 – $44,000 commensurate with education and level of experience.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Group benefits and RRSP plan (shared costs)
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
- Organization committed to extraordinary staff and customer experience
Please note that Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and résumé outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Zach Fralick at email@example.com no later than 4:00pm on Sunday, September 24, 2017.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.