This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre is a state-of-the-art multi-purpose sport and recreation facility. We promote healthy and active living for citizens. Driven by our passion, leadership and teamwork, we strive to achieve innovative programming and exceptional guest experiences. For more information, please visit www.canadagamescentre.ca.
The Fitness Programmer will be responsible for the group exercise and fee based program areas and schedule for the Service Operations Department. The main goals of the role will be elevating the current group exercise and fee based group offerings and increasing the number of members participating in these programs. This position will report to the Fitness & Wellness Coordinator and provide supervisory support in the Fitness Centre when the Fitness & Wellness Coordinator is unavailable.
This role will also provide administrative support with payroll submission and follow-up, keeping statistics on classes and groups, performing interviews, holding auditions, and the performance management of the fitness team. The successful candidate will be passionate about fitness and health, want to help participants get results and be focused on customer service excellence.
- Supervising group exercise and fee based group staff
- Flexibility in work day, evening, and weekend hours
- Scheduling, monitoring, and evaluating the group exercise and fee based group teams
- Knowledge of fitness programming, group exercise offerings, and Fitness Centre protocols, as well as the ability to communicate these effectively to members and staff
- Staying current regarding fitness trends and advising on “early adopter” fitness opportunities
- Tracking group exercise equipment maintenance/inventory and keeping the Fitness & Wellness Coordinator updated on any equipment needs
- Preparing reports and tracking participant numbers in classes and programs
- Providing extraordinary Customer Service to members and guests
- Paperwork and administration work as related to the position
- Please note that this position will be part of the Duty schedule for supervision of the Canada Games Centre on a rotating schedule.
- Passion for Fitness and creating a quality experience for our members
- Certified Fitness Instructor, i.e., Can Fit-pro, NSFA, or other recognized certification body
- Certified Aquatics Fitness Instructor, i.e., AQX, WaterART, Cala, CFES, or other recognized certification body
- Additional fitness certifications such as, but not limited to, TRX, Kettlebell, Crossfit, Zumba, ViPR, etc.
- Supervisory experience in a group exercise and program setting
- Current CPR certification
- Good computer skills and knowledge of programs in the Microsoft Suite
- Strong communication skills
- AED Certification
- Familiarity with CGC policies, procedures, and safety standards
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION
- Degree/Diploma in Kinesiology/Kinetics, Recreation, Leisure Studies or related discipline and combination of experience
- Experience supervising and coaching successful teams
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Good decision making skills
- Compassion, patience, and understanding
- This position will be a mixture of administrative hours, group exercise delivery, and fitness program creation and delivery with a flexible schedule including early morning, late evening, and/or weekend work when required by facility operations and demands
- Work environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion
- Safe lifting, carrying, and First Aid techniques must be adhered to at all times
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
The salary for this position is $32,000 – $38,000 per annum.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Group benefits and RRSP plan
- A variety of discounted programs and services
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
Please note that a Criminal Record Check will be required as part of the hiring process.
To apply, please submit a covering letter and résumé outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting, to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:00pm on Friday, May 18th, 2018.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed