Early Morning Lifeguards
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes and will continue to do so for generations to come. As a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, it provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and a major new sports training and competition facility in Atlantic Canada. The Canada Games Centre is a 176,000 square feet state-of-the-art community recreation facility.
We are seeking Lifeguards who are energetic, professional, and organized for our early morning shift from 5:00am to 8:00am. As a committed team player, you will strive to deliver the highest quality aquatic experience to our members and guests in our fast-paced environment.
Reporting to the Aquatic Operations Coordinator and Aquatics Program Coordinator under the leadership of aquatic supervisors, you will provide safe and enjoyable aquatic opportunities for the public through the provision of lifeguarding and instructional services. You will prevent injuries through public education, instruction, and safety supervision of both recreational and competitive swimmers. When appropriate, you will respond to both injuries and incidents. Answering public inquiries, ensuring safe water quality, and maintaining a clean aquatic and change room area is all part of your customer-oriented approach.
- Perform preventative lifeguard responsibilities in accordance with national training standards as well as internally established policies and procedures
- Demonstrate active lifeguarding techniques
- Prevent potential injury and incident by providing consistent public education; should an emergency situation arise, responds appropriately with communication/rescue response/first aid treatment/and activation of appropriate emergency services
- Instruct programming according to program provider standards as well as internally established policies and procedures including associated administrative documentation in a professional manner which meets required deadlines
- Perform continuous risk management and communicate needs or concerns to appropriate personnel
- Perform routine safety inspections of all equipment
- Monitor cleanliness and safety of the Aquatics Centre (including change rooms) and immediately rectify unclean or potentially hazardous conditions by utilizing a proactive approach
- Carry-out opening and closing protocols
- Set up, take down, and securely store all equipment as determined by prearranged scheduling
- Complete all reporting and documentation in a timely manner
- Maintain a level of fitness and training necessary to fulfill the practical, knowledge, and judgmental components of lifeguarding and instructing.
- Maintain a high level of customer engagement by appropriately handling or referring programs/services and situations as they arise within the aquatic centre
- Coach, mentor, and develop new lifeguards and instructors
- Attend and engage in ongoing training and professional development opportunities
- Perform, in a cooperative manner, other duties associated to the safe and effective operation of the Canada Games Centre as determined necessary by supervisory team members
Mandatory (To be maintained as a condition of employment)
- National Lifeguard Service Award (NLS) – Pool Option (current within two years)
- Instructional Awards (current within two years – minimum of one award)
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI)
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Swim for Life Instructor
- YMCA Instructor
- Standard First Aid (current within two years)
- CPR-C and/or HCP (current within one year)
- AED Responder
- Oxygen Therapy Provider
- Minimum one (1) year experience as a Lifeguard
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work independently and as a contributing member of a larger team
- Ability to promote drowning prevention through public education, demonstration, and special events
- Problem-solving skills and judgment
- Ability and willingness to be flexible in a high paced, developing environment
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful, cooperative, and professional working relationships with colleagues, supervisors, users, and community
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
Please note that Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
Wage is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit a covering letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job to Chris Hanlon at email@example.com. Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed