Summer Camp: Full-Time Camp Counsellor
This opportunity is now closed
SETTING: The Canada Games Centre Summer Camp Program is in its 8th year and continues to grow. Our program is available for children between the ages of 5 to 12 and takes advantage of all that our 176,000 square foot state-of-the-art community recreation facility has to offer. Typical days include everything from swimming in one of the three pools in our massive aquatics centre, playing physically active games on the 52,000 square feet of hardwood court space in our field house, running laps on our 200-metre 6-lane indoor track, crafts and classroom activities in one of our many community rooms, as well as outdoor play opportunities on our brand new playground. Visit us at www.canadagamescentre.ca.
POSITION SUMMARY: Camp Counsellors will be responsible for providing daily supervision of campers and implementing summer camp program plans as directed by the Recreation Coordinators.
- Follow proper sign in and sign out procedures during drop off and pick up at the beginning and end of each day
- Daily supervision of children and implementation of summer camp program plans
- Interacting with children
- Interaction with parents and guardians, providing exceptional customer service and a positive customer experience
- Reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise
- Effective communication with all fellow Canada Games Centre staff
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre
- Supervise groups of children on outings (public transit will sometimes be used on these field trips so successful candidates must be comfortable supervising children on public transit and off-site)
- Complete additional projects as assigned
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate and CPR-C
- High Five
- NCCP Fundamental Movement Skills
- All above training will be offered prior to the start of camps
KNOWLEDGE AND EDUCATION:
- Strong background in recreation as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Working/playing knowledge of a variety of sports and physical activities
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Customer service experience
- Ability to coach, train, and guide participants
- This is full-time position beginning July 2, 2018 and ending August 31, 2018
- Shifts are scheduled for 8.5 hours and will start and end between the hours of 7:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday
- Vacation day requests are not realistic in our camp environment and will not be granted
- Please note that you must be available for mandatory staff training on June 9, 16 and 17, 2018
- $11.25 to $12.25 per hour
- Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
- A separate application is required if applying for multiple positions
- Interviews for this position will be held on Sunday, March 18, 2018
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please combine a cover letter and resume into one document and label the file using only your first and last name (example: John Doe.pdf) and email your application to Zach Fralick at email@example.com by Wednesday, March 7, 2018.
Please include the position that you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed