Aquatics Program Coordinator
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre serves the community and the province’s athletes for generations to come. It is a first class multi-purpose sport and recreation facility, provides a new centre for the community promoting healthy and active living for citizens and is a major new sports training and competition facility in Atlantic Canada.
The 35,500 sq ft Aquatics Centre features an 8 lane – 25 metre Competition Pool with an adjustable depth floor in shallow end, a 3 lane – 25 metre recreational Leisure Pool, a toddler pool with a variety of deck level spray features, 2 body waterslides, a hydrotherapy pool and dry sauna, and 3M and 1M springboard diving.
We are seeking a full-time Aquatics Program Coordinator who will yield a leadership role in the provision of aquatic programs. This includes active engagement in the assessment of needs, development, implementation, supervision, and evaluation of private, group, specialized, and leadership programming. The position includes responsibility for staff development, support, training, orientation, scheduling, deployment, and shift coverage.
Reporting to the Manager, Recreation & Program Services; the program coordinator will provide support and leadership to the aquatic team through knowledge and resource development to instructional and program services.
- Assist in planning, scheduling, and implementation of appropriate aquatic programming targeted at a variety of populations (children, youth, adult, senior, etc) and abilities.
- Ensure quality service and product is received by all members and customers. Ensure all instructional programming meets and exceeds program provider standards as well as internally established policies and procedures.
- Develop and integrate new, unique, and innovating ideas and teaching/delivery methods through the effective use of internal and external resources.
- Monitor program and budgetary quotas.
- Recommend and update policies / best practice standards pertaining to programs and services.
- Ensure day-to-day registration processes are followed including ongoing communication and education with customer service personnel as it relates to aquatic programs.
- Organize orientation, training, and professional development opportunities for aquatic team.
- Assign tasks, workload, schedules, and responsibilities to ensure high quality service. Supervise both full time and part time employees ensuring human resource policies are adhered to (including ongoing performance appraisals).
- Accountable for safe guarding and managing municipal assets including money, supplies, and equipment.
- Assist in preparing messaging / marketing strategies to recruit and retain new customers / groups (including the addition of new revenue streams).
- Perform continuous risk management and communicate needs or concerns to appropriate personnel.
- Inventory control and ordering of program and pool supplies/equipment.
- Completion of various project work; including program curriculum development.
- Attend and actively engage in ongoing training and professional development opportunities.
- Perform, in a cooperative manner, other duties associated to the safe and effective operation of the Canada Games Centre as determined necessary by Manager, Recreation & Program Services.
Mandatory (to be maintained as a condition of employment)
- National Lifeguard Service Award (NLS)
- Pool Option (Current within two years)
- Instructional Awards: (current within two years – minimum of one award)
- Lifesaving Instructor (LSI)
- Water Safety Instructor (WSI)
- Swim for Life Instructor
- Standard First Aid (Current within two years)
- CPR-C and/or HCP (Current within one year)
- Experience in program development and implementation in a busy recreation environment.
- Experience in supervising and providing leadership to aquatic staff.
- AED Responder
- Oxygen Therapy Provider
- National Lifeguard Service Instructor
- Lifesaving Instructor Trainer
- Water Safety Instructor Trainer
- CPR / FA Instructor
- Previous training / experience in Aqua Fitness
- 2-4 years’ work experience in a senior aquatic role preferred.
- Post-secondary education in a relevant field and/or a combination of award certifications and experience deemed equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven ability to work collaboratively within an aquatic team, as well as independently.
- Ability to promote drowning prevention through public education, demonstration, and special events.
- Ability to develop sustainable partnership and network with both customers and key stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication skills (both verbally and in writing). Prepares and conducts presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to accept responsibility, work with minimum direction and be able to exercise prudent judgment.
- Ability and willingness to be flexible in a high paced, developing environment.
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful, cooperative, and professional working relationships with colleagues, supervisors, users, and community.
- Experience dealing with various populations (individuals, families, groups, corporate, seniors, etc.)
- Knowledge of trends in the delivery of aquatic leisure programs and services.
- Requirement to work flexible hours (early morning, day, evening, and weekend).
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion.
- Safe lifting, carrying, and rescue techniques (use of a rescue aid in the water and coordination of rescue with a second rescuer, when possible, are required by the employer).
- Safe use of all protective / barrier equipment is required by the employer.
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment.
$36,000 to $46,000, commensurate with education and experience.
What’s In It For You?
- Group benefits
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to metro transit
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit a covering letter and résumé outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:00pm on Monday, June 8, 2015.
Please include the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed