After School Program Leader
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre is a state-of-the-art multi-purpose sport and recreation facility. We promote healthy and active living for citizens. Driven by our passion, leadership, and teamwork, we strive to achieve innovative programming and exceptional guest experiences.
The After School Program Leader will be responsible for the planning, on site supervision, and daily execution of activities during the After School Program. This includes being the first point of contact for parents as well as attendance, bus drop-off’s and reporting any immediate concerns to the on-site supervisor. This position will report daily to the Community Recreation Coordinator. As there will be interaction with parents and guardians, a commitment to exceptional customer service and positive customer experience is key to success in this role as well. Knowledge of a wide range of sports and leisure activities will also be required. Please note that this position has a requirement to be available to start at 2:00pm on weekdays.
- Provide instruction and leadership for activities while ensuring participant safety at all times
- Ensure all participants are actively engaged, motivated, having fun, and staying safe
- Follow proper sign in and sign out procedures during drop off and pick up each day
- Daily supervision of children and implementation of after school program plans
- Interacting with children
- Interaction with parents and guardians, providing exceptional customer service and a positive customer experience
- Participate in pool activities
- Modify activities for any special needs participants may have
- Reporting of any concerns to supervisor and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise
- Effective communication with all fellow Canada Games Centre staff
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics staff to ensure safety of children when in the Aquatics Centre
- Complete additional projects as assigned by the Community Recreation Coordinator
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR (or willing to obtain before start of program)
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Experience in a sport setting
Knowledge & Education
- Strong background in recreation and sport as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Previous experience in a setting where elementary age children are the main focus
- Understanding of behavioural modification and conflict resolution strategies
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrates excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Dedication to exceptional Customer Service
- Ability to coach, train and guide participants
- The After School program runs Monday – Friday from 2pm-6pm
- A commitment to a minimum of two (2) days per week is expected
- Availability on Professional Development days will also be required
- Working environment includes physical, emotional, and mental demands on infrequent occasion
- Exposure to loud noises and ability to concentrate in a busy environment
Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry Checks will be required as part of the hiring process.
The compensation for this role is $12.55 per hour.
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- A variety of discounted programs and services
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Training and professional development opportunities
- Amazing team environment
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter to Zach Fralick at firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, September 24th, 2020.
Please include the position you are applying for in your subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents will result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive workplace and applicants from the following groups are encouraged to self-identify when applying for this opportunity: Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians and other racially visible persons.This opportunity is now closed