After School Program Leader
This opportunity is now closed
The Canada Games Centre (CGC) is a vibrant multi-sport community and recreation centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. We are a 176,000 sqft facility operated by a non-profit society committed to promoting physical literacy, fitness and wellness, and to supporting the needs of high performance sport & athlete development. The Centre runs sport and recreation programs, camps, fitness classes and so much more in an inclusive environment. Located in Mi’kma’ki, the ancestral and traditional lands of the Mi’kmaq people, the CGC acknowledges the Peace & Friendship Treaties signed in this Territory and recognizes that we are all Treaty People.
Together, we inspire healthy active living.
Leaders in the After School Program will be responsible for providing daily supervision of participants and implementing program plans as directed by the After School Program Team Lead. We are looking for people who love working with children, have knowledge of a wide range of recreational activities, and would enthusiastically welcome the opportunity to ensure children have the best possible experience in our programs. The successful candidate will be a dynamic individual with a passion for recreation.
- Greet children and parents to facility programs
- Follow proper sign in and sign out procedures during drop off and pick up each day
- Provide instruction and leadership for activities while always ensuring participant safety
- Provide outstanding customer service and communication with parents and guardians
- Monitor supply levels and keep rooms organized and clean
- Maintain all health and safety regulations; Ensure participant code of conduct is followed
- Report to team lead regarding any program issues and dealing with initial problem solving when issues arise
- Be a caring leader throughout the year for all participants
- Communicate effectively and professionally with team members and participants
- Work in conjunction with Aquatics staff to ensure safety of children when in the pool
- Complete additional projects as assigned
Knowledge & Education
- Strong background in recreation as an employee, volunteer, or participant
- Knowledge of a variety of sports, arts & crafts and other recreational activities
- Previous experience in a setting where children are the main focus
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrate excellent verbal, written, and oral skills
- Possess strong coordination and leadership skills
- Customer service experience
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Good decision-making skills
- This is a part-time position beginning September 2023
- Shifts are scheduled between the hours of 2:15pm and 5:30pm Monday to Friday
- Minimum commitment of two shifts weekly
- Criminal Record & Child Abuse Registry checks will be required as part of the hiring process
What’s in it for you?
- Free facility membership
- Free parking and close proximity to Halifax Transit
- Amazing team environment
- Organization committed to extraordinary staff and customer experience
- The compensation for this position is $15.00 per hour (plus 4% vacation pay)
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume, outlining how you meet the specific qualifications listed in the job posting to Wasan Nayfeh at email@example.com by Sunday, August 20th, 2023.
Please include your full name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. Failure to properly identify your application or attach working documents may result in your application being omitted.
We are a welcoming and supportive environment whose goal is to be a diverse workplace representative of the citizens we serve. Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in occupations where they are under-represented, and the LGBTQIA2S+ community are encouraged to self-identify on your application.This opportunity is now closed